[comp.unix.wizards] Unix Jargon File Wanted

ZZASSGL%cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (02/01/90)

I'm currently writing an introduction to Unix for new users of our
mainframe Unix system here.  I want to include a guide to Unix jargon,
starting at a very low level ( ie what is a path, what is a directory,
what is a shell etc) and working up.  The readers of the guide may not
have ever used Unix before.

Is there something similar already available somewhere I could copy
and adapt?  It must be free of copyright problems.

Geoff. Lane.
UTS Sys Admin
mcc

henry@angel.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton -- Software Products) (02/02/90)

In article <22278@adm.BRL.MIL>, ZZASSGL%cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk writes:

    *  I'm currently writing an introduction to Unix for new
    *  users of our mainframe Unix system here.  I want to
    *  include a guide to Unix jargon, starting at a very low
    *  level ( ie what is a path, what is a directory, what is
    *  a shell etc) and working up.  The readers of the guide
    *  may not have ever used Unix before.
If the readers/users are really beginners, I would recommend
first purchasing some of the introductory texts on UNIX.

Blowing my own trumpet first, take a look at
    Introducing UNIX System V,
    by Rachel Morgan and Henry McGilton,
    published by McGraw-Hill.
Also, take a look at
    A Practical Guide to UNIX System V, by Mark Sobell.  Mark's
    coverage of VI is very good.

    *  Is there something similar already available somewhere
    *  I could copy and adapt?
Probably easier to buy already available material than start
afresh with your own.

	............. Henry

| Henry McGilton    | The days of UNIX as a    |                           |
| Sun Microsystems  | phenomenon are over; now | arpa: hmcgilton@sun.com   |
| 2550 Garcia       | we want to know what     | uucp: ...!sun!angel!henry |
| Mountain View, CA | UNIX can do for us.      |                           |

libes@cme.nist.gov (Don Libes) (02/02/90)

In article <131076@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> henry@angel.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton -- Software Products) writes:
>In article <22278@adm.BRL.MIL>, ZZASSGL%cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk writes:
>    *  I'm currently writing an introduction to Unix for new
>    *  users of our mainframe Unix system here.  I want to
>    *  include a guide to Unix jargon ....

>If the readers/users are really beginners, I would recommend
>first purchasing some of the introductory texts on UNIX.
>Blowing my own trumpet first, take a look at
>    Introducing UNIX System V, by Rachel Morgan and Henry McGilton,

Well as long as people are blowing their own trumpets, I think the
specific request for "a guide to UNIX jargon" might better be
satisfied by "Life With UNIX".  Incidentally, I think Henry's book is
very good for people who want to learn to use UNIX (as opposed to
people who just want to learn the jargon).  In fact, here is what
"Life With UNIX" (page 105) says about "Introducing the UNIX System [V]":

	We give this book our highest recommendation as an
	introductory UNIX text.  It is extremely comprehensive and
	yet reads easily.  A separate version is available that
	concentrates on System V.

Don Libes          libes@cme.nist.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes