[comp.unix.wizards] missing swap space

booloo@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Mark Boolootian) (02/22/90)

    I have a question regarding pstat and the statistics it returns about swap
space.  We have set aside 64 MBytes for swap and when I run pstat -s, it tells
me that about 32 MBytes is "missing."  The man page for pstat tells me that the
missing category is for swap space reserved for temporary storage of arguments
for executing processes.  But 32 MBytes?  That seems like an awful lot of
arguments.  I looked at the pstat code to see how the calculation for "missing"
was done but this didn't provide me with much info -- there is no explicit
counter for missing swap.  Anyone enlighten me on this?  Thanks in advance.  Oh,
just in case, we're running Ultrix 3.0.
mb

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (02/22/90)

In article <49475@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, booloo@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Mark Boolootian) writes:

>     I have a question regarding pstat and the statistics it returns about swap
> space.  We have set aside 64 MBytes for swap and when I run pstat -s, it tells
> me that about 32 MBytes is "missing."

	Taking a wild guess...  You added the B partition of an
	RA82 (or similar) as additional swap space.

	Did you also add a line to /etc/fstab to tell swapon(8)
	to start using that device for paging and swapping.  The
	line should look something like:

		/dev/ra#b::sw:0:0:::

	You can fill in the '#' with the drive number.
--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.enet.dec.com

In article <49475@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> booloo@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Mark Boolootian) writes:

>     I have a question regarding pstat and the statistics it returns about
> swap space.  We have set aside 64 MBytes for swap and when I run pstat -s,
> it tells me that about 32 MBytes is "missing."...

cbmvax% pstat -s
131072k swap configured
	39225k used (3264k text, 96k smem)
	92264k free, 23820k wasted, -417k missing
avail: 19*4096k 1*2048k 2*1024k 4*512k 6*256k 39*128k 1768*1k

Somehow, I've never had much faith in the "missing" number...

"wasted" is easy, it's more or less the difference between what you've
specified in the "swap on" in the config file and what you've added
with the "swapon" command.

"used" is painful, because every getty and task you have sitting there
idle takes up a chunk.  Back when I was short of swap space, I found that
I could actually take a big chunk out of "used" by increasing dmmin so
that getty would fit in the initial allocation instead of requiring
additional (bigger) allocations.