[comp.unix.wizards] unix FTP to IBM CMS?

ted@arsocomvax.socom.mil (Ted Nolan) (03/13/90)

We've recently had an IBM 9370 mainframe come on to our LAN with IBM's TCP/IP.
Now a user wants to use FTP to transfer some files to it.  The catch is that
the files need to end up with a particular record size on the CMS side.
The man page for BSD ftp isn't very helpful on this point, and the only
subcommand that sounds promising, "mode", is apparently fixed in stone as
"stream".  Can it be done (from either end (get from CMS, put from Unix)?)

				Thanks,

				Ted Nolan
				ted@arsocomvax.socom.mil

kjj@varese.UUCP (Kevin Johnson) (03/14/90)

In article <1990Mar13.064510.4235@arsocomvax.socom.mil> ted@arsocomvax.socom.mil (Ted Nolan) writes:
>We've recently had an IBM 9370 mainframe come on to our LAN with IBM's TCP/IP.
>Now a user wants to use FTP to transfer some files to it.  The catch is that
>the files need to end up with a particular record size on the CMS side.
>The man page for BSD ftp isn't very helpful on this point, and the only
>subcommand that sounds promising, "mode", is apparently fixed in stone as
>"stream".  Can it be done (from either end (get from CMS, put from Unix)?)

Try this on the ftp command line ( on the unix side):
	quote site fixrecfm {XXX}
Where XXX is the fixed record length you need...
This works on my setup...
I found it by doing the following:
	remotehelp site

#include <standard_disclaimer>
| Kevin Johnson                                      ...!mcdphx!QIS1!kjj      |
| QIS System Administrator  Motorola MCD             kjj@phx.mcd.mot.com      |