[comp.unix.wizards] Large Unix, SYS5.4 on Unisys

archunix@stl-08sima.army.mil (Bernie J. Potter) (03/15/90)

Hello;

I have been following the recent discussion of large BSD-
based boxes. My management has directed me to gather
information about large, fast (>10 mips) System V based
platforms. Does anyone have information and/or experience
on any of these?

In addition, I have been asked to locate alternate sources
(besides Unisys) for a System V Release 4 based operating
system for a Unisys 5000/80 machine. We are unable to
upgrade to Release 4 under our current Unisys contract
and would like to find another source for doing so.
Any ideas?

Thank you for any information in advance.

A. K. Turczynski

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/15/90)

In article <22750@adm.BRL.MIL> archunix@stl-08sima.army.mil (Bernie J. Potter) writes:
>In addition, I have been asked to locate alternate sources
>(besides Unisys) for a System V Release 4 based operating
>system for a Unisys 5000/80 machine. We are unable to
>upgrade to Release 4 under our current Unisys contract
>and would like to find another source for doing so.

By far your best source for an operating system would be the vendor,
even if it means writing a separate procurement action (which you would
have to do anyway no matter what the source of the off-contract software).
Since UNIX System V Release 4.0 has just been released, it may have not
yet been ported to your hardware even if the vendor plans to do so.
If Unisys tells you definitely that they have no plans to upgrade their
current OS to SVR4.0 (quite apart from considerations of the DA MINIS
contract), then try contacting Arete who as I recall actually developed
the system you are now using (resold by Unisys).  I'm not sure that Arete
is still in business under the same name, however; this industry changes
its infrastructure too frequently for me to keep up with such details.

Arete is now called ARIX. Apparently they didn't want to sell the French
a computer named "Halt" (shades of the Chevy Nova).
--
 _--_|\  `-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \  'U`

ry@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (ryerson.schwark) (03/15/90)

In article <12353@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <22750@adm.BRL.MIL> archunix@stl-08sima.army.mil (Bernie J. Potter) writes:
>>In addition, I have been asked to locate alternate sources
>>(besides Unisys) for a System V Release 4 based operating
>>system for a Unisys 5000/80 machine.

>If Unisys tells you definitely that they have no plans to upgrade their
>current OS to SVR4.0 (quite apart from considerations of the DA MINIS

I believe that Unisys intends to offer a port.

>contract), then try contacting Arete who as I recall actually developed
>the system you are now using (resold by Unisys).  I'm not sure that Arete
>is still in business under the same name, however; this industry changes

I believe that Arete is now Arix, and as far as I know, they are still
in business.

Ry Schwark
uso!ry