[comp.unix.wizards] Help!!!

steven@pearl.berkeley.edu.UUCP (05/05/87)

Hi, all of you UNIX wizards, I need some help!  There are some problems
I need to solve but don't have anybody to ask:

- I have a publically accessable program written and running.  It keeps
  a log file and some other statistics.  In order for the program to be
  able to write to these files, I must make the files globally writable.
  This, however, is undesirable because nasty people (scums) may edit
  the files themselves and make themselves god in the program.  The
  problem is, a user will run the program under his own uid.  How can
  I ensure that the special files are globally accessable only THROUGH
  the program?  I know there are ways to do it, and it should be easy,
  but I just don't have anybody to ask.

- I am working on a multi-user program.  Each user will spawn a front-end
  process and only ONE backend process will be serving them all.  I need
  somebody to help me understand:

	1. How to spawn only ONE backend process
	2. How to communicate between the frontend and backends
	3. How to make the backend running under MY uid
	4. If possible, how to enable frontends to run on other machines

  I know there are something called signals (?), messages (?) etc. in
  the system calls which can do that.

- What is the use of making a process daemon?

I know these questions are probably trivial for you guys.  Any help will
be heartily appreciated.  Please mail to steven@pearl.Berkeley.EDU and
don't post to the net because I don't usually read this news group.

Thanks a lot!

					- Stephen Chung

HTIKOS@grad.cis.temple.edu (03/07/90)

This is in reply to the user with the "-files.doc" problem.

A sure-kill way of removing this file is to make sure that there are no
files with a "*.doc" extention in that current directory.  Next, all you
must do is type the following :
	rm *.doc
Note:  The asterisk (*) will substitute for anything with a ".doc" extention.

Warning: MAKE SURE that there are NO OTHER "___.DOC" files in the directory!!!!

from:
	HTIKOS@TMPLCIS.BITNET

mkb@hoss.unl.edu (CRCHPUX System Manager) (03/08/90)

Here are some more (hopefully) helpful suggestions for the user with the
"-files.doc" problem:

1.	Some UNIX versions have a nice option with "rm" that is just for
this situation, this is the minus (-) option.  (Ultrix-32 is one such
implementation).  All that is needed to remove files whose names begin
with a "-" is this:
		rm - -files.doc

2.	Try   rm -i *.doc
This will ask for a yes or no response before deleting any files.

Sincerely,

Mary Beardslee  [  mkb@hoss.unl.edu ]
UNIX Systems Manager
University of Nebraska-Lincoln

In article <22682@adm.BRL.MIL> HTIKOS@grad.cis.temple.edu writes:
>This is in reply to the user with the "-files.doc" problem.
>A sure-kill way of removing this file is to make sure that there are no
>files with a "*.doc" extention in that current directory.  Next, all you
>must do is type the following :
>	rm *.doc

It would be nice if people would test their answers before posting them.
It would also be nice if people would read the monthly `frequently asked
questions, with answers' answers before posting incorrect answers.

	% mkdir t; cd t
	% touch ./-files.doc
	% ls
	-files.doc
	% rm *.doc
	usage: rm [-rif] file ...
	% ls
	-files.doc
	% rm ./-files.doc
	% cd ..; rmdir t
	%

I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out why `./-files.doc'
keeps `rm' from complaining about the leading `-'. :-)

fk@kos.rci.dk (Fleming Kraglund) (03/10/90)

For the user with the -files.doc problem, if you are using a sysV system
you can stop option parsing with the - option.

Try      rm -- -files.doc
--
Flemming Kraglund             fk@rci.dk                  This is my OWN opinion
1/2 * PS = PS/2 (half a computer)  |  1/2 * OS = OS/2 (half an operating system)

tim@Athena.UUCP (Tim Dawson) (03/17/90)

>This is in reply to the user with the "-files.doc" problem.

>A sure-kill way of removing this file is to make sure that there are no
>files with a "*.doc" extention in that current directory.  Next, all you
>must do is type the following :
>	rm *.doc

Or you could use rm -i * or *.doc and have the system prompt you for each file
in the directory (or match list) as to whether you really want to delete it or
not.  This way, if you goof, you get to SEE what is going to be deleted, as
opposed to finding out the hard way.  Also, if all else fails you can use clri
on the inode and let fsck clean up.
Tim Dawson (...!texsun!Athena!tim)  Motorola Computer Systems, Dallas, TX.
"The opinions expressed above do not relect those of my employer - often even I
cannot figure out what I am talking about."