[comp.unix.wizards] Standard Shells On System V.4

news@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz (USENET News System) (03/09/90)

Does any shell wizard out there know what standard shells will be available on
UNIX System V.4. That is, I've heard ksh will be, what about csh and will it
have any enhancements. What about sh (and which version, will it have functions
etc. or just be the standard BSD /bin/sh with very little).

Martin.

eric@mks.com (Eric Gisin) (03/10/90)

In article <269@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz>, news@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz (USENET News System) writes:

> Does any shell wizard out there know what standard shells will be available on
> UNIX System V.4. That is, I've heard ksh will be, what about csh and will it
> have any enhancements. What about sh (and which version, will it have functions
> etc. or just be the standard BSD /bin/sh with very little).

Why would System V.4 have the BSD /bin/sh?
The V.4 shell is the V.3.2 shell with job control.
Job control is not enabled by default, only
when the shell is interactive and invoked as "jsh".
Presumably they used this method instead of Korn's -m option
so that you just change your login shell to /bin/jsh.

(This is from the new SVID, I haven't seen V.4 yet).

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/10/90)

In article <269@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> martin@macadam (Martin Foord) writes:
>Does any shell wizard out there know what standard shells will be available on
>UNIX System V.4. That is, I've heard ksh will be, what about csh and will it
>have any enhancements. What about sh (and which version, will it have functions
>etc. or just be the standard BSD /bin/sh with very little).

Nobody in their right mind would "upgrade" the SVR3.2 /bin/sh to the 4.3BSD
/bin/sh, especially when it would break existing customer applications.

ksh and csh have been announced as part of SVR4.0.

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (03/10/90)

In article <269@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz>, news@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz (USENET News System) writes:

> Does any shell wizard out there know what standard shells will be available on
> UNIX System V.4. That is, I've heard ksh will be,

Yes. Works well in "vi" mode, but "set -o emacs" is nicer.

> what about csh and will it have any enhancements.

Csh is there, yes. I don't know about enhancements (haven't had time to
check), but it is *not* 8-bit clean. Looks more-or-less like the normal
BSD version.

> What about sh (and which version, will it have functions etc.
> or just be the standard BSD /bin/sh with very little).

BSD's /bin/sh is a very old version that is based on the one from UNIX v7.
System V Release 4 definitely includes the System V version of /bin/sh
with functions, 8-bit cleanness and all other features that you've came to
expect from a modern /bin/sh.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

>Nobody in their right mind would "upgrade" the SVR3.2 /bin/sh to the 4.3BSD
>/bin/sh, especially when it would break existing customer applications.

Translation: yes, it'll have functions - if it didn't, AT&T would have a
riot on their hands.  It also supports job control, as Eric Gisin noted,
although you may have to invoke it as "jsh" to get it.  I don't think it
includes any other big extensions; i.e., no history or anything like
that.  (If you have something like "ile" or "atty" or the Andrew "tm",
or a terminal with history or snarf'n'barf in it, or.... you may not need
it.)

>ksh and csh have been announced as part of SVR4.0.

I think the Korn shell is one of the very recent versions ("ksh-88"?).

The C shell is derived (with few changes, as I remember) from the SunOS
4.1 C shell (yes, 4.1), which means it's basically the 4.3BSD one, with
assorted Sun additions like "hardpaths" and the ability to deal sanely
with characters with the 8th bit set (said ability added in SunOS 4.1).

>Csh is there, yes. I don't know about enhancements (haven't had time to
>check), but it is *not* 8-bit clean. Looks more-or-less like the normal
>BSD version.

You musta seen a different version than I did, then, because:

	1) the SunOS 4.1 version is 8-bit clean - I tried it

and

	2) I "diff"ed the source of the two versions, and the main
	   differences were caused, as I remember, by workarounds for
	   WE32K compiler bugs.

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (03/13/90)

In article <12332@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> Nobody in their right mind would "upgrade" the SVR3.2 /bin/sh to the 4.3BSD
> /bin/sh, especially when it would break existing customer applications.

That's only the common sense attitude!  8-}

Encore's UMAX4.2 (loosely based upon 4.2BSD) included the BRL
version of the SysV3.2 /bin/sh.  Encore's 4.3BSD release seems to
have had this replaced by the older 4.3BSD /bin/sh.  A note in one
of their documents says to check (and change) all the shell scripts
and Makefiles on your machine to "assure BSD compatibility".

The SysV3.2 shell is still available in "/usr/old/sh".  And, on a
positive note, they do the world one favor and distribute ksh as
a standard part of every system.  That, at least, can be used to
replace /bin/sh (with just the loss of "^" or so).  Actually, ksh
appears to be the 1985 version (which is about the time when the
BRL shell was incorporated into UMAX4.2).  Oops.

John
--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140 x284
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group

DISCLAIMER: These thoughts and typos are my own...

chet@cwns1.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (03/14/90)

In article <8704@xenna.Xylogics.COM> loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) writes:

$ Encore's UMAX4.2 (loosely based upon 4.2BSD) included the BRL
$ version of the SysV3.2 /bin/sh.
$ Actually, ksh appears to be the 1985 version (which is about the time when
$ the BRL shell was incorporated into UMAX4.2).  Oops.

It is my impression that BRL (Doug Gwyn, specifically) distributes a shell
based on the SysV.2 /bin/sh with job control, emacs-style editing, and
other goodies (though it's not as nice as bash :-).  Doug doesn't
distribute the SysV.3.2 sh, especially not one from 1985 :-).

Chet Ramey

--
Chet Ramey			"I'm majoring in Eastern Philosophy and
Network Services Group		 cowboy movies -- the yin, the yang, and

  I just got a chance to test ksh88d from the toolchest, and I hope
that's the one they have in V.4. It's really nice, even if you've been
using an earlier version. Good stuff.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

cjc@ulysses.att.com (Chris Calabrese) (03/16/90)

In article <8704@xenna.Xylogics.COM> loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) writes:

> Encore's UMAX4.2 (loosely based upon 4.2BSD) included the BRL
> version of the SysV3.2 /bin/sh.
> Actually, ksh appears to be the 1985 version (which is about the time when
> the BRL shell was incorporated into UMAX4.2).  Oops.

My understanding (as told by Dave Korn) is that early beta's of sVr4
had whatever ksh Summit happened to have on hand.  The official
release includes ksh88 (I think revision D).
--
Name:			Christopher J. Calabrese
Brain loaned to:	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

daveb@i88.isc.com (Dave Burton) (03/18/90)

In article <3019@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
|:ksh and csh have been announced as part of SVR4.0.
|I think the Korn shell is one of the very recent versions ("ksh-88"?).

a, b, c, or d? :-)
--
Dave Burton
uunet!ism780c!laidbak!daveb