[comp.unix.wizards] ethernet connections time out

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) (04/13/90)

I have a MicroVax II, running Mt Xinu 4.3 June 88 with a deqna
ethernet board.  Any ethernet connection to this machine will be
dropped eventually regardless of the ethernet/cpu load.  I have
also noticed the following messages on my console:

Apr  7 03:33:05 ddd vmunix: qerestart: restarted qe0 400
Apr  7 03:54:05 ddd vmunix: qerestart: restarted qe0 401
Apr  7 04:03:05 ddd vmunix: qerestart: restarted qe0 402

I assume they are related.  Ideas?

I don't have source :-(

thanks
--

Michael DeCorte // H215-546-0497 W386-8164 Fax386-8252 // mrd@clutx.bitnet
2300 Naudain St. "H", Phil, PA 19146 // mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

In article <MRD.90Apr12162221@image.clarkson.edu> mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) writes:

>I have a MicroVax II, running Mt Xinu 4.3 June 88 with a deqna
>ethernet board.  Any ethernet connection to this machine will be
>dropped eventually regardless of the ethernet/cpu load.  I have
>also noticed the following messages on my console:
>Apr  7 03:33:05 ddd vmunix: qerestart: restarted qe0 400
>I assume they are related.  Ideas?

Bullseye.

You have an old deqna board, and they come with a bug.  Check
with DEC for the proper upgrade or replacement.

>I don't have source :-(

Fortunately, you don't need it. :-)

				--Blair
				  "I, on the other hand..."

In article <MRD.90Apr12162221@image.clarkson.edu>
mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) writes:
>I have also noticed the following messages on my console:
>
>Apr  7 03:33:05 ddd vmunix: qerestart: restarted qe0 400

The DEQNA has a bug that causes it to forget to do its job sometimes.
The current qe (DEQNA/DELQA) driver has a watchdog timer that jabs the
qe after it falls asleep.

Generally, the jab happens before a TCP connection will time out, but
in some situations this could cause the problem.  The fix is to replace
the DEQNA with a DELQA (at least, so say DEC).