[comp.unix.wizards] 4.3 csh job control

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (05/02/90)

In article <5152@helios.TAMU.EDU> craig@stat.tamu.edu (Craig Smith) writes:
-   We have a bit of a problem at our site (which consists mostly of
-Suns running SunOs 4.0.3) with novice users misusing ^Z and winding up
-with many, many stopped jobs wasting virtual memory and bringing the
-system to a crawl.
-I cannot think of any other solution to this problem that does not
-involve the use of kludgy temporary files or hacking the csh source
-itself.
-Any suggestions?

Yeah -- educate your users in the proper use of ^Z.
Much simpler, and more generally useful than a specific hack.

dodd@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Christopher T. Dodd) (05/03/90)

In article <12761@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <5152@helios.TAMU.EDU> craig@stat.tamu.edu (Craig Smith) writes:
>-   We have a bit of a problem at our site (which consists mostly of
>-Suns running SunOs 4.0.3) with novice users misusing ^Z and winding up
>-with many, many stopped jobs wasting virtual memory and bringing the
>-system to a crawl.
>-Any suggestions?
>Yeah -- educate your users in the proper use of ^Z.
>Much simpler, and more generally useful than a specific hack.

	In line with the previous discussion about global login files,
why not give novice users an initial .login file containing
`stty susp undef' and `stty dsusp undef'.  Presumably when they are
expert enough to remove (or counteract) these, they'll be expert enough
to use jobs correctly.

Chris Dodd
dodd@cs.stanford.edu