[comp.unix.wizards] System Panic Message VFS_REMOVE

satish@ticnj.UUCP (News Administrator) (05/03/90)

I am using a rm command to empty a file system through a crontab entry, which
causes the system (sparcstation running SUNOS Rel. 4.0.3c) to panic
and reboot !!

The Panic message written in the /usr/adm/messages file looks
like this : vmunix: panic: vfs_remove: vfs not found

The shell script which does that looks like :

	mount /dev/.... /mnt
	cd /mnt
	for i in * ; do rm -rf $i ; done

The script bombs and leaves a core file behind which  says that the
rm command bombed.

Any ideas, views , suggestions are welcome .

Thanks in advance.

dick@unix386.Convergent.COM (Dick Hacking) (05/05/90)

In article <356@ticnj.UUCP>, satish@ticnj.UUCP (News Administrator) writes:
> I am using a rm command to empty a file system through a crontab entry, which
> causes the system (sparcstation running SUNOS Rel. 4.0.3c) to panic
> and reboot !!
>
> 	mount /dev/.... /mnt
> 	cd /mnt
> 	for i in * ; do rm -rf $i ; done

Why not just use mkfs to recreate the filesystem.
This has the advantage that performance will be much better
than that over the fragmented filesystem left by removing
lots of files. It will also bypass the cause of the panic if
you are lucky ;-)

Dick Hacking