[comp.unix.wizards] C0WABUNGA!!

lad@lad.scs.com (Lawrence A. Deleski) (06/01/90)

From article <901508516356BIFF@BIFFVM.BIT.NET>, by BIFF@BIFFVM.BIT.NET (THE
BIFFMAN COMETH):
> HIYA D00DS!! ICUZ MY BBROTHER <--BIG BROTHER, NEET HUH? WUZ BBSITTING ME
AND MY> MOM WULD KILL HIM IF ANYTING HAPENED TO ME. THEES SHUR R

[dribble dribble]

Is there anything we can do about this 'dude'?  He's cross-posted to every
damn group he could.  I really hate this type of trash.

--
         Lawrence A. Deleski             |       Mentor Graphics
         lad@sdl.scs.com                 |       Silicon Design Division

rodney@ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (06/01/90)

lad@lad.scs.com (Lawrence A. Deleski) writes:
>[dribble dribble]

>Is there anything we can do about this 'dude'?  He's cross-posted to every
>damn group he could.  I really hate this type of trash.

sure.  Add him to your kill file.  He'll go away soon enough.
Nn is nice -- it let me nuke any messages from him for the next 30
days with about four keystrokes.  You don't even know he exists except
for the people who do followups to his innane babbling.

--
Rodney

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (06/02/90)

> > HIYA D00DS!! ICUZ MY BBROTHER <--BIG BROTHER, NEET HUH? WUZ BBSITTING ME
> AND MY> MOM WULD KILL HIM IF ANYTING HAPENED TO ME. THEES SHUR R
>
> Is there anything we can do about this 'dude'?  He's cross-posted to every
> damn group he could.  I really hate this type of trash.

Well, he was kind enough to include a "Reply-To:" in the message header, so
go ahead:

-----
Shankar Unni                                 shankar@hpda.hp.com

gil@banyan.UUCP (Gil Pilz@Eng@Banyan) (06/02/90)

In article <574@lad.scs.com> lad@lad.scs.com (Lawrence A. Deleski) writes:

>From article <901508516356BIFF@BIFFVM.BIT.NET>, by BIFF@BIFFVM.BIT.NET (THE
>BIFFMAN COMETH):
>> HIYA D00DS!! ICUZ MY BBROTHER <--BIG BROTHER, NEET HUH? WUZ BBSITTING ME
>AND MY> MOM WULD KILL HIM IF ANYTING HAPENED TO ME. THEES SHUR R

>Is there anything we can do about this 'dude'?  He's cross-posted to every
>damn group he could.  I really hate this type of trash.

one . . two . . three . . four . . "Lighten up Lawrence !"

It's a *joke* son !  Get it !?

"when Jim calls out the infantry
 to save the likes of you and me
 and planes are falling from they sky
 then there's no need to wonder why
 it's BIFF !"

Gilbert Pilz Jr. "sick, and proud of it" gil@banyan.com

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (06/06/90)

In article <26270011@hpclscu.HP.COM>, shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni)
says:

>> > HIYA ...
>> Is there anything we can do about this 'dude'...
>
>Well, he was kind enough to include a "Reply-To:" in the message header, so
>go ahead:

NOOOOOOOOOO!

DON'T DO IT!

jnk@psuvm.psu.edu is one of the 'powers that be' on the staff of PSU's
computer center.  He is NOT responsible for this... neither are the
various other reply-to: addresses (I think there was a jlf@psuvm.psu.edu,
for example).  They're forgeries, so reply-to fields can't be trusted.

This is being discussed (no, it's being beaten like a dead horse) in
news.admin.

Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center,
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555
E-mail: DOUG@YSUB.BITNET, DOUG@YSUB.YSU.EDU, ...!uunet!ysub.ysu.edu!doug
>> I am not a wizard.  What I do isn't magic.  I am a computer professional.

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss) (06/07/90)

No, *don't* reply to the reply-to; the message was forged, and the poor
reply-to fellow has already been swamped with numerous mail messages.
Basically, ignore the messages and let the NNTP system hackers try to expunge
them and track down the perpetrator ....			Eliot
--

		J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
		Lederle Graduate Research Center

Unni) writes:
|> Well, he was kind enough to include a "Reply-To:" in the message header, so
|> go ahead:

  Please DO NOT assume that an individual named in the "Reply-To" field
of a BIFF forgery is the real poster of the message.

  BIFF forged hundreds of messages in a very short period of time, and
used SEVERAL DIFFERENT REPLY-TO ADDRESSES in those messages.

  This implies rather clearly that he was trying to spread the blame
around, and that in fact the Reply-To addresses were, like the rest of
the messages, forged.

  Please do not flame innocent people for something they most likely did
not do.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710

wht@n4hgf.uucp (Warren Tucker) (06/08/90)

In article <90157.083045DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu> DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:
>This is being discussed (no, it's being beaten like a dead horse) in
>news.admin.

a dead TROJAN horse :-)?

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare    gatech!n4hgf!wht or wht%n4hgf@gatech.edu
Any perceptible delay will eventually get on your nerves. --Bob Hyers

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (06/09/90)

>   Please DO NOT assume that an individual named in the "Reply-To" field
> of a BIFF forgery is the real poster of the message.

Whoops, sorry, I ****ed up!

Never mind.. (I'm too trusting :-/)
----
Shankar