[comp.unix.wizards] ksh discriminates background processes

siebren@cwi.nl (Siebren van der Zee) (06/01/90)

Does anybody know why the new Korn shell lowers the priority
of background processes?  I felt so betrayed by my own shell
when I first noticed this.  I feel old and wise enough to
decide which processes should run slow, and know which command
to use for that.  In particular, I like my xterm processes to
be run at a high priority, not a low one.

	Siebren van der Zee, siebren@cwi.nl
	CWI, Amsterdam

ekrell@ulysses.att.com (Eduardo Krell) (06/02/90)

In article <siebren.644249314@piring.cwi.nl> siebren@cwi.nl (Siebren van der Zee) writes:
>Does anybody know why the new Korn shell lowers the priority
>of background processes?

Because you have the "bgnice" option on. Type "set -o" and you'll see
a line that says

bgnice           off

This is the default behavior. If you want this changed, add
"set +o bgnice" to your ENV file.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (06/02/90)

In article <siebren.644249314@piring.cwi.nl> siebren@cwi.nl (Siebren van der Zee) writes:
>Does anybody know why the new Korn shell lowers the priority
>of background processes?...

Because you ask it to do this.
It's a variable called BGNICE i believe.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

In article <13051@ulysses.att.com> I said:

>bgnice           off
>
>This is the default behavior.

Oops. The default bgnice behavior is "on". I copied the above from my
shell output where I turn it off.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

cbrandau@nyx.UUCP (carl brandauer) (06/03/90)

every shell i have used in the last 13 years has lowered the priority of
background processes - makes sense to me

>every shell i have used in the last 13 years has lowered the priority of
>background processes - makes sense to me

But not to everybody.  The problem with a shell doing so is that it's
making an assumption that's not necessarily true, namely that a
"background" process - i.e., a process initially started with an "&" -
isn't an interactive process.  This isn't necessarily true on:

	1) systems with job control - the job may be moved into the
	   foreground later;

	2) systems with a window system - the job may be a terminal
	   emulator, in which case you can run all sorts of interactive
	   processes within the session it starts up.

The original poster was being bit by 2); as he said,

	In particular, I like my xterm processes to
	be run at a high priority, not a low one.

and frankly, I think most "xterm" users would agree with him.

cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) (06/12/90)

In article <siebren.644249314@piring.cwi.nl> siebren@cwi.nl (Siebren van der Zee) writes:
>Does anybody know why the new Korn shell lowers the priority of background
>processes?

I see others have replied about ksh, about which I know next to nothing (it's
too expensive for us round here, I'm waiting until bash is reliable enough,
which I suspect will be the next release), but the version of tcsh I use runs
background processes at `nice +2' unless you use `nice +0 prog &'.  Seems to
work quite well to me ...

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcsun!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv@uk.ac.warwick             INET:   cudcv@warwick.ac.uk