[comp.unix.wizards] netblt

steveb@cs.odu.edu (Steve Baylon) (06/29/90)

Hi!  I was wondering if any of you wizards have any experince with
netblt.  It is supposedly somthing like ftp.  I have the program but
there was no man pages or docs that came along with it.
Please email me some info..

Much thanks...

--- Steve

akhale@chamomile.uucp (Abhijit Khale) (06/30/90)

In article <STEVEB.90Jun29114755@ceawlin.cs.odu.edu> steveb@cs.odu.edu (Steve Baylon) writes:
>Hi!  I was wondering if any of you wizards have any experince with
>netblt.  It is supposedly somthing like ftp.

Netblt ( if we are thinking about the same animal :-) ) is not "like" ftp. Its a transport
protocol meant for use in high speed networks. It uses rate based flow control
rather than the window based flow control used in TCP, TP4 etc.

Further Information about netblt can be obtained from RFC 998 and RFC 1030. SIGCOMM'87
also has an article on netblt. Implementations of netblt for an IBM-PC and for a
UNIX system ( using raw sockets) should also be publicly available from allspice.lcs.mit.edu

Abhijit
akhale@parc.xerox.com