[comp.unix.wizards] salary/job survey

shadow@uafhp.uark.edu (Kyoki-san) (06/28/90)

My boss asked me to post this survey to see if the salaries for our Unix
Technical Support group are competitive.  Please email responses to me at
shadow@uafhp.uark.edu

Example:
Unix System Administrator, 1 year experience, $31k

I will post a summary to the net if their is interest enough.

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (06/28/90)

In article <4839@uafhp.uark.edu> shadow@uafhp.uark.edu (Kyoki-san) writes:
>My boss asked me to post this survey to see if the salaries for our Unix
>Technical Support group are competitive.

>Example:
>Unix System Administrator, 1 year experience, $31k

You'll need to define what you're paying your admin to do, and what
(if any) other background they have to have.

There was a posting in misc.jobs.offered a day or so ago that wanted
a MSCS for an admin position.... It was Disney, though, so don't
call unless you want to shave. :-)

Do your admins write device drivers for new peripherals? Do they just
install packaged software and make backups? How much technical support
must they provide to users? How many users are there, on how large a
system? Is there a network, with multiple systems, using a mixture
of platforms? Other duties?

Then, of course, there's the regional cost of living to consider--
an admin here in Huntsville won't pull as much as someone in
Silicon Valley, because houses here cost $50K instead of $200K.

Please clarify; an analogous question would be "how much does a
pilot make?" without specifying whether he's flying a Piper Cub
or a Boeing 747....

BTW, most companies (mine included) prohibit employees from
disclosing salary. I don't know a good way for you to handle that.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

ronnie@mindcrf.UUCP (Ronnie Kon) (06/29/90)

In article <4839@uafhp.uark.edu> shadow@uafhp.uark.edu (Kyoki-san) writes:

>My boss asked me to post this survey to see if the salaries for our Unix
>Technical Support group are competitive.

	Why not just call the AEA (American Electronics Association) and ask
if you can come down and look at their annual salary survey.  It is far more
comprehensive (and reliable) than anything you get off the net.

				Ronnie
Ronnie B. Kon                    |  "The answers to life's problems aren't at
ronnie@mindcraft.com             |  the bottom of a bottle: they're on TV!"
...!{decwrl,ames}!mindcrf!ronnie |               -- Homer Simpson

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun29.032335.10341@twinsun.com> coleman@twinsun.com (Mike Coleman) writes:
>shadow@uafhp.uark.edu (Kyoki-san) writes:
><My boss asked me to post this survey to see if the salaries for our Unix
><Technical Support group are competitive.  Please email responses to me at
><shadow@uafhp.uark.edu
>
>Why don't you just post a list of salaries and U. Ark. and we'll tell you what
>we think...

Now that's a damn good suggestion.  I already replied to this and
realized my mistake when seeing an article in misc.jobs.offered from
the above poster -- should have picked better numbers and applied
for the job ;-)

      Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
  steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu

panon@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Paul-Andre Panon) (06/29/90)

When trying to track down some curious behaviour with Screen v2.0a and
vt100 terminals, a friend and I narrowed the problem down to strange
behaviour by the termcap facility as it is called from the ansi.c module.

 With the following TERMCAP entry (split up for your benefit):

setenv TERMCAP 'd0|vt100|vt100-am|vt100am:co#80:li#24:do=^J:cl=50\E[;H\E[2J:
sf=5\ED:le=^H:bs:am:cm=5\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=2\E[C:up=2\E[A:ce=3\E[K:cd=50\E[J:
so=2\E[7m:se=2\E[m:us=2\E[4m:ue=2\E[m:md=2\E[1m:mr=2\E[7m:mb=2\E[5m:me=2\E[m:
is=\E[1;24r\E[24;1H:rf=/usr/lib/tabset/vt100:
rs=\E>\E[?3l\E[?4l\E[?5l\E[?7h\E[?8h:ks=\E[?1h\E=:ke=\E[?1l\E>:ku=\EOA:kd=\EOB:
kr=\EOC:kl=\EOD:kb=^H:ho=\E[H:k1=\EOP:k2=\EOQ:k3=\EOR:k4=\EOS:pt:sr=5\EM:vt#3:
xn:sc=\E7:rc=\E8:cs=\E[%i%d;%dr:';

 tgetnum("co") and tgetnum("li") return 79 and 23 respectively.

when the TERMCAP entry is modified to contain ... :co#79:li#23: ...
tgetnum() returns the expected values of 79 and 23 for columns and rows.

i.e. When the termcap entry gives a value of 80 by 24, those values somehow
get 1 subtracted from them by the time you can retrieve them through tgetnum().
Could somebody shed a little light on how to tell when you have a 79x23 or an
80x24 screen (other than by duplicating the function of tgetenv() and friends)?

Is this a feature? and, if so, pray tell, what are its origins?

This is while working with BSD termcap on both an Apollo DN3500 running
Domain/OS and a Sun3/2xx(?) running SunOS v4.0.1_Export.

Paul-Andre

--
    Paul-Andre_Panon@staff.ucs.ubc.ca        or    USERPAP1@UBCMTSG
or  Paul-Andre_Panon@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca     or    USERPAP1@mtsg.ubc.ca

whh@PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) (06/30/90)

In article <680@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

>BTW, most companies (mine included) prohibit employees from
>disclosing salary. I don't know a good way for you to handle that.

I presume you mean that the prohibit *you* from disclosing *other*peoples*
salaries.  Either way--it's a neat trick.  How do you know if what you're
paid is comparable with what the guy down the hall gets?  Don't you ever
*talk* to your colleagues?

	--Hal

Hal Heydt                    |    An earthquake is Mother Nature's
Analyst, Pacific*Bell        |    "silent" pager going off . . .
415-823-5447                 |
whh@pbhya.PacBell.COM        |

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCS) (06/30/90)

	Official policy at Sterling is that _I_ can be fired for telling
another Sterling employee what _I_ make . . .

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 604-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb@well.sf.ca.us                     samlb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (07/01/90)

In article <7076@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Sam Bassett RCS) writes:
>	Official policy at Sterling is that _I_ can be fired for telling
>another Sterling employee what _I_ make . . .

Do you also have trouble getting another lump of coal for the stove?  But
seriously, how does a company justify a rule like that in 1990?  I have
always thought that not discussing your salary was more a matter of office
ettiquette, not something your employer could demand of you.

Note:  Followups to misc.jobs.misc as this is not a unix or wizards question.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude

chrise@bcsaic.UUCP (Chris Esposito) (07/03/90)

In article <680@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

>BTW, most companies (mine included) prohibit employees from
>disclosing salary. I don't know a good way for you to handle that.

Really? I've never heard of such a prohibition.  While disclosing your (or
someone else's) salary may, under certain circumstances, be unethical or
unwise or simply none of their business, it seems to me that it is my decision
to make, not my employers.  Does this prohibition extend to disclosing what
other benefits you get?  How about telling your spouse what you make?

--
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind" - Dan Quayle at a Weight Watchers group
Chris Esposito                      | Internet: chrise@atc.boeing.com

darryl@lemuria.MV.COM (Darryl Wagoner) (07/03/90)

Come on you guys, this is not the place for this.

-Darryl

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (07/04/90)

In article <27363@bcsaic.UUCP> chrise@bcsaic.UUCP (Chris Esposito) writes:
>In article <680@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>
>>BTW, most companies (mine included) prohibit employees from
>>disclosing salary. I don't know a good way for you to handle that.
>
>Really? I've never heard of such a prohibition.  While disclosing your (or
>someone else's) salary may, under certain circumstances, be unethical or
>unwise or simply none of their business, it seems to me that it is my decision
>to make, not my employers.  Does this prohibition extend to disclosing what
>other benefits you get?  How about telling your spouse what you make?

Such prohibitions are illegal.  An employee has a protected right to
disclose *his own* salary.  Any attempt to prevent an employee from doing
so may be construed as an attempt to prevent *unionization* (a
corporate no-no).

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM