[comp.unix.wizards] Ver. 3.2 filesystems mountable on ver. 4?

jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) (07/24/90)

Does anyone know if filesystems created under 3.2 Unix are mountable
on ver 4 filesystems?  Are they basically the same?  Thanks much in
advance.

--
Jesse W. Asher			Dynasys			Evening: (901)382-1609
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134

>Does anyone know if filesystems created under 3.2 Unix are mountable
>on ver 4 filesystems?

Err, *which* 3.2 and 4?  I shall assume you mean "System V Release 3.2"
and "System V Release 4".

Yes, both the V7-based S5 file system used in 3.2 and earlier S5
releases, and the 4.3BSD-based UFS file system, are present in S5R4.
You would mount the file systems created under 3.2 as S5 file systems,
rather than UFS file systems.

>Are they basically the same?

Symlinks were added to the S5 file system in S5R4; other than that, the
on-disk structures should basically be the same (although the
implementations are fairly different in some ways).

The UFS file system's on-disk structures are, of course, quite different
from the S5 file system's.

davidsen@antarctica.crd.GE.COM (william E Davidsen) (07/25/90)

In article <361@dynasys.UUCP>, jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
|> Does anyone know if filesystems created under 3.2 Unix are mountable
|> on ver 4 filesystems?  Are they basically the same?  Thanks much in
|> advance.

  They are under at least one version of V.4, but I don't know if all.

sar0@cbnewsl.att.com (stephen.a.rago) (07/25/90)

In article <361@dynasys.UUCP>, jessea@dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
> Does anyone know if filesystems created under 3.2 Unix are mountable
> on ver 4 filesystems?  Are they basically the same?  Thanks much in
> advance.
If you mean "will a file system created on SVR3.2 still be mountable
on SVR4.0?", the answer is, in general, yes.  It depends on the exact
type of the file system, but the stock System V file system format
didn't change.

Steve Rago
sar@attunix.att.com