[comp.unix.wizards] I_FDINSERT in streamio

ws@tools.uucp (Wolfgang Solfrank) (08/09/90)

Currently I'm trying to write a trace module and/or driver for
streams tracing. I need it for easier testing and debugging of
a streams protocol stack we are developping here. I'd like to
let the traced driver/modules and the application as much alone
as possible. So I face the problem of duplicating all messages
that are sent thru the protocol stack to the trace application.

How do I tell the trace driver what streams stack to intercept?

It seems that the I_FDINSERT provides the mechanism that I'm
looking for, but I cannot make much sense from what I read in
the streamio(4) description in the manual.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this...
--
ws@tools.uucp	(Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH)	+49-228-230088

sar0@cbnewsl.att.com (stephen.a.rago) (08/14/90)

In article <WS.90Aug9184533@karl.tools.uucp>, ws@tools.uucp (Wolfgang Solfrank) writes:
> Currently I'm trying to write a trace module and/or driver for
> streams tracing. I need it for easier testing and debugging of
> a streams protocol stack we are developping here. I'd like to
> let the traced driver/modules and the application as much alone
> as possible. So I face the problem of duplicating all messages
> that are sent thru the protocol stack to the trace application.
>
> How do I tell the trace driver what streams stack to intercept?

Make the trace driver both a module and a driver, and push it on
the stream in the place you'd like to debug.  Use the module to log
messages and use the driver to recover them.

Steve Rago
sar@attunix.att.com