From: grant@Pescara.ORC.Olivetti.Com (Grant Grundler)

Subject: Re: Please add me to User list
Date: 14 Aug 90 17:19:18 GMT
Sender: news@orc.Olivetti.Com

In article <49280@ricerca.UUCP>, grant@Pescara.ORC.Olivetti.Com
(Grant Grundler) writes:

:In article <24129@adm.BRL.MIL>, genesis@BRL.MIL (MAJ. Kindel) writes:
:> Please add me to your user list.  I am with the US Army
:> Computer Science School.
:>
:> Thank You
:> Info Center
:> USA Computer Science School
:> AV 780-3245 COMM(404)791-3245
:
:
:Looks like the somebody needs to learn how to use "rn"!
:
:grant
:
Or is there any mailing list which simultaneouly post the
 news to various addresses. In any case why flaming new
 users ?

--
     _                                   ||Internet: skdutta@cssun.tamu.edu
    (   /_     _ /   --/-/- _            ||Bitnet : skd8107@tamvenus.bitnet

ag@cbmvax.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (08/15/90)

In article <49280@ricerca.UUCP> grant@Pescara.ORC.Olivetti.Com (Grant Grundler) writes:
>In article <24129@adm.BRL.MIL>, genesis@BRL.MIL (MAJ. Kindel) writes:
>> Please add me to your user list.  I am with the US Army
>> Computer Science School.
>>
>> Thank You
>> Info Center
>> USA Computer Science School
>> AV 780-3245 COMM(404)791-3245
>

>Looks like the somebody needs to learn how to use "rn"!

A lot of people read news as if it came from a mailing list (Ie, they
send their mail address to a list keeper and use their mail reader to
read all incoming mail).  Inefficient, but workable for a small number
of groups.  This Kindel guy is probably one of them.

Pax, Keith

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (08/15/90)

Periodicly we see these types of messages appearing in the various news groups
that also include gatewayed mailing lists.  This is generaly caused by two
mechanisms.  The first is posting the request to the gatewayed mailing list,
ie info-unix@sem.brl.mil or unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil, instead of the
administrative list, ie info-unix-request@sem.brl.mil.  This is due to ignorance
on the  part of the person trying to get on the list (they may not have news
on their system).  The second and more serious reason is the request mail
address being incorrectly gatewayed into the newsgroup.  If this is happening,
flames should be directed to the list maintainer, not the poor user who has no
control over how his message is treated once it reaches the mail gateway system.
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med

>Looks like the somebody needs to learn how to use "rn"!

No, somebody just needs to have the protocol for joining/leaving mailing
lists explained to them before being told about those mailing lists.
There's no guarantee that his machine necessarily *gets* netnews; if it
doesn't, "rn" (or any other newsreader) won't do him a lot of good....