[comp.unix.wizards] newsgroupname counterproposal

schwartz@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (09/01/90)

I miss the old newsgroup already.  Why not comp.unix.arcana, if not
comp.unix.wizards?  That seems to better reflect the kinds of stuff
that normally goes on in unix-wizards.

(I would _not_ recommend renaming it sci.unix.arcana, although the
smaller distribution would increase the signal/noise ratio.)

mjr@decuac.DEC.COM (Marcus J. Ranum) (09/02/90)

In article <Fc?g3e?1@cs.psu.edu>, schwartz@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:

> I miss the old newsgroup already.  Why not comp.unix.arcana, if not
> comp.unix.wizards?

	I have to admit, I was taken by surprise by the change. Admittedly,
I tend to 'n' my way through unix-wizards in a hurry, but I don't recall
seeing any discussion of the changes-to-be *here*. Was this all decided
in news.groups, and if so, it might have made some sense to post a notice
that the change was being considered. Of course, I might have overlooked
it, but I can't imagine such a world-shaking change being made without
everyone in unix-wizards inserting their $2e-2 as usual. :)

mjr.
--

Eagles may soar, free and proud, but weasles never get sucked into jet engines.

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (09/05/90)

In article <Fc?g3e?1@cs.psu.edu> schwartz@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:

>I miss the old newsgroup already.  Why not comp.unix.arcana, if not
>comp.unix.wizards?  That seems to better reflect the kinds of stuff
>that normally goes on in unix-wizards.
>
>(I would _not_ recommend renaming it sci.unix.arcana, although the
>smaller distribution would increase the signal/noise ratio.)

Very late in the discussion period I suggested c.u.esoterica. Even
though there were some positive comments, it was too close to the
start of voting.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028