[comp.unix.wizards] About the comp.unix.internals fluster

dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) (09/11/90)

If anyone is really concerned about the legalities of these things,
then there should be no 'comp.unix.xxx' groups.  They should all
be 'comp.unix.operating.system.xxx'.

Use of Unix as a noun is an encroachment on AT&T's trademark, to which
they are legally obliged to object in order to retain their trademark.
(Trademarks can only be adjectives.  If a trademark becomes a noun, it
becomes the common name for something, rather than a word which distinguishes
a particular variety from the general case.)

Look around in the manuals--at least as far as the lawyers have read, it
will always be written as the Unix operating system.
--
Craig Jackson
dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com

matt@group-w.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (09/12/90)

) Use of Unix as a noun is an encroachment on AT&T's trademark, ...

We who are not in the business of selling a derivative of the unix(tm)
brand operating system can use the word any way we please.  For
instance, in my DNS records, I label any OS that ends with an X as
"unix."  I may get a letter someday from AT&T's lawayers, but I don't
think they have a cause of action.
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

tp@mccall.com (09/13/90)

In article <15489@drilex.UUCP>, dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) writes:
> If anyone is really concerned about the legalities of these things,
> then there should be no 'comp.unix.xxx' groups.  They should all
> be 'comp.unix.operating.system.xxx'.

Of course, it should have always been comp.os.unix.xxx, since usenet is NOT
a unix oriented network, or so I was told while being flamed over creating
VMSnet. :-)
--
Terry Poot <tp@mccall.com>                The McCall Pattern Company
(uucp: ...!rutgers!ksuvax1!mccall!tp)     615 McCall Road

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (09/13/90)

In <15489@drilex.UUCP> dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) writes:

     Use of Unix as a noun is an encroachment on AT&T's trademark...
     If a trademark becomes a noun...

Too late...My observation is that UNIX has been a noun for about ten
years now.  Its adjective status probably exists only in the minds of
AT&T's lawyers.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi