[comp.unix.wizards] c.u.wizards vs. c.u.internals

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (09/04/90)

Based upon the mishmash arriving at my site some peope are aliasing
comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.internals.  All well and good.  My
question: is anyone doing the opposite?  Also, is anyone concerned that
others will refuse to use c.u.i because they find it inappropriate (or
believe that their unix source license prohibits them from posting to a
group called c.u.i)?
--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (09/04/90)

In article <34639@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) writes:
>Based upon the mishmash arriving at my site some peope are aliasing
>comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.internals.  All well and good.  My
>question: is anyone doing the opposite?  Also, is anyone concerned that
>others will refuse to use c.u.i because they find it inappropriate (or
>believe that their unix source license prohibits them from posting to a
>group called c.u.i)?

How about people who've un-aliased the group after being convinced
the name change really was a bad idea?
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

ables@lot.ACA.MCC.COM (King Ables) (09/07/90)

I see the point that Doug and John have made concerning the name of
the group.  But I fail to see anything but a sematics problem here.

If someone were to write a message containing information that violated
their license agreement, does it really matter whether they post it to
comp.unix.internals or rec.arts.disney?  No!  The violation comes in
discussing the information, not which group it's discussed in.  Conversely,
posting a message containing no sensitive information to c.u.internals
violates NOTHING.

Now I'm sure Doug's point is that in a group *called* c.u.internals, there
is much more potential for someone to get bent out of shape if he actively
participates.  Fair enough.  And probably good reason to consider leaving
the name as c.u.wizards so it attracts less attention... we all still know
what it means.

But as for the contents of postings, I'm sure Doug didn't post anything
that violated his license agreement in c.u.wizards just as he wouldn't
in c.u.internals.  So how is it different?  Presumably people who refuse
to participate in c.u.internals weren't participating in internals threads
in c.u.wizards anyway, for the same reasons.

Saying one "can't" take part in a group because of the name of the group
is incorrect.  Saying one CHOOSES NOT to participate for fear of being
accused of doing something incorrect because the accuser make an assumption
based only on the name of the group is another matter.  This is sad for all
concerned (the person who no longer participates as well as the rest of
us for losing their insight), but at least it's a fair reason.

Of course, if everyone restricts themselves properly, this may turn out
to be a pretty boring newsgroup and get rmgrouped, then we wouldn't have
a problem.  ;-)
King Ables                    Micro Electronics and Computer Technology Corp.
ables@mcc.com                 3500 W. Balcones Center Drive
+1 512 338 3749               Austin, TX  78759

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (09/07/90)

In <BARNETT.90Sep6125844@grymoire.crd.ge.com>
barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:

>In article <18533@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>
>>   Well, I'm tending to agree with Doug Gwyn.  Doug's statement was
>>   that he wouldn't be able to discuss UNIX internals because his
>>   license prohibited him from doing so.
>
>What does the NAME of the newsgroup have to do with anything?
>
>As I understand it, John and Doug can post Unix(TM) articles in a
>newsgroup called comp.unix.spam, but can't legally post a SPAM recipe
>to comp.unix.internals?
>
>No-one said people are *required* to discuss proprietary info in
>c.u.i. If your license prevents you from doing so, then don't post
>anything proprietary. Hasn't this always been the case?
>
>Am I missing something here?

No, Bruce, you aren't missing anything, except perhaps the view of the
pouting faces of Doug Gwyn and John Haugh, III.  They are (apparently)
quite miffed that "their" newsgroup was renamed under their noses.

I, too, am not happy that c.u.wizards is no longer an official
newsgroup, but I voted against the name change and lost, fair and
square.  Like a good net.citizen (one of the few, it seems) I actually
read news.group and evaluate the discussions.

Like, D.G. and JFH3, I also have signed various license and
non-disclosure agreements in my varied positions and situations, and
reviewing the texts, it is clear that there is not terribly much of my
unix knowledge that I cannot share with the world.  There are lots of
certain application specific things that I still feel honor-bound to not
reveal (even though certain time limits have expired and some of the
information has been published in some obscure tech journals), but the
most wizardly things that I am likely to discuss here are publicly
available in a variety of forms.

It is just possible that some people are frightened by the posturings
and quibblings of various lawyers (net and real) and have been advised
to limit their participation, but I can't really see them not stating
that up front.

No, the only thing preventing them from continuing to discuss whatever
they were discussing before the group was renamed is a lot of ego.  Its
too bad that some of the most erudite contributors to c.u.wizards are
going to let their inflated sense of self-importance lead them to think
that they can abridge the consensus to the net by picking up their ball
and going home.  It looks more like they are going out into the yard to
eat "worms".
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]

jay@silence.princeton.nj.us (Jay Plett) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep7.010347.24458@wolves.uucp>, ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
> No, the only thing preventing them from continuing to discuss whatever
> they were discussing before the group was renamed is a lot of ego.  Its
> too bad that some of the most erudite contributors to c.u.wizards are
> going to let their inflated sense of self-importance lead them to think
> that they can abridge the consensus to the net by picking up their ball
> and going home.  It looks more like they are going out into the yard to
> eat "worms".

Easy, now.  Of at least one of the two people you are talking about, it
can be said that he is irascible, rude, inconsiderate and egotistical,
as evidenced by many of his postings.  But it must also be acknowledged
that his contribution to this newsgroup--not to mention his contribution
to Unix--is formidable.  Were he to never post again, the loser would be
this noosegroup and its readers, not him.

	...jay

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (09/10/90)

In article <18539@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>In article <26E7C052.73E@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>>If anyone objects strongly to a bending of the guidelines here, please
>>let yourself be heard.  I don't want this group's propagation to be
>>fragmented because of administrator resentment.  I'm listening.

>... the name "comp.unix.wizards".  it has such a nice
>ring to it.

I don't know, given that most of what I've seen in this group in the last
couple of days have been 20 to 30 repetitive followups on how to recover
the root password, not only is "wizards" not the word that comes to mind,
but "internals" seems equally inappropriate. How about comp.unix.metoo :-}!

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are mine not my employer's.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

willr@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Will Raymond) (09/12/90)

> >This voting business is really beginning to look pretty silly.
> >What we really need is a good backbone cabal.

> I tend to agree also.
>
> 	A group which was created to allow experts to chit-chat
> 	amongst themselves has now been re-structured with the
> 	hidden agenda to try to turn them into free consultants.

	After seeing that the vote was announced in CAPS I can't see where
	I can't complain that I didn't see it ( oh...BTW,I didn't see it )
	but it really doesn't matter.

	As a consumer/producer of the Usenet, I'll follow general economic
	principles and put my money where my mouth is and, exclusively, continue
	to peruse and respond to questions posted in WIZARDS.

	But, not to miss out on anything, I'll probabally due a weekly batch
	scan of internals.

    *******       Will Raymond - Northern Telecom NTP in RTP
|  | ~   ~ |  |
   . O   o .      Work: ...uucp!rti!ntpdvp1!willr
|     .V.     |   Fun:  ...uucp!cs.unc.edu!raymond
     ._ _.

luke@modus.sublink.ORG (Luciano Mannucci) (09/15/90)

In article <3370@stl.stc.co.uk>, dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:
%In article <18530@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
%#In article <34639@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) writes:
%#}Based upon the mishmash arriving at my site some peope are aliasing
%#}comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.internals ... is anyone doing the opposite?
%#
%#How about people who've un-aliased the group after being convinced
%#the name change really was a bad idea?
%
% Count me for one.

And Me too!

Disclaimer: My humble opinions may not reflect my computer's ones.

luke.
-
--
  _ _           __             Via Aleardo Aleardi, 12 - 20154 Milano (Italy)
______________________________ Software & Services for Advertising & Marketing