[comp.unix.wizards] Question:Books on Unix

googol@ucscb.ucsc.edu (60778000) (01/23/91)

Hi! Could anyone recommend some books on Unix related to the following
topics: Unix Kernel, Shell Programming, Unix Utilities . Is there
any single book that talks about all these topics ? thanks.

kissane@motcid.UUCP (John G. Kissane) (01/23/91)

In article <11425@darkstar.ucsc.edu> googol@ucscb.ucsc.edu (60778000) writes:

>Hi! Could anyone recommend some books on Unix related to the following
>topics: Unix Kernel, Shell Programming, Unix Utilities . Is there
>any single book that talks about all these topics ? thanks.

I suggest that you take a look at O'Reilly & Associates. They have
several excellent books on a large number of UNIX topics.

They can be reached via e-mail at the following address:

	ora!nuts

Good Luck.
John Kissane,					Mahon Industrial Estate,
Motorola Ireland Ltd.				Blackrock, Cork, Ireland.
...!uunet!motcid!kissane			+353-21-357-101

heron@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Vance Heron) (01/24/91)

In article <11425@darkstar.ucsc.edu> googol@ucscb.ucsc.edu (60778000) writes:

>Hi! Could anyone recommend some books on Unix related to the following
>topics: Unix Kernel, Shell Programming, Unix Utilities . Is there
>any single book that talks about all these topics ? thanks.

For Shell programming and utilities, I can reccomend "Tricks of the Unix
Masters" put out by the Waite group.

data@buhub (Mark Hall) (01/24/91)

In article <11425@darkstar.ucsc.edu> googol@ucscb.ucsc.edu (60778000) writes:

>Hi! Could anyone recommend some books on Unix related to the following
>topics: Unix Kernel, Shell Programming, Unix Utilities . Is there
>any single book that talks about all these topics ? thanks.

I would also recomment the "Tricks of the Unix Masters".  It discusses some
things about the Kernel, and delves fairly deeply into Shell Scripting.
--
| Internet: data@{bucs1,buhub}.bradley.edu, al632@cleveland.freenet.edu       |
| "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake, but Captain, |

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan24.072226.16356@bradley.bradley.edu> data@buhub (Mark Hall) writes:
>In article <11425@darkstar.ucsc.edu> googol@ucscb.ucsc.edu (60778000) writes:
>>Hi! Could anyone recommend some books on Unix related to the following
>>topics: Unix Kernel, Shell Programming, Unix Utilities . Is there
>>any single book that talks about all these topics ? thanks.
>
>I would also recomment the "Tricks of the Unix Masters".  It discusses some
>things about the Kernel, and delves fairly deeply into Shell Scripting.

There are three books every kernel programmer should own -

	"The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating
	 System", Samuel J. Leffler, et al.  Addison-Wesley, 1988
	 ISBN 0-201-06196-1, Library of Congress QA76.76.063D474

	"The Design of the UNIX Operating System", Maurice J. Bach.
	 Prentice-Hall, 1986.  ISBN 0-13-201799-7

	"A Commentary on the UNIX Operating System", J. Lions, 1977.

The first two are mandatory, the third is there for historical reference.
If a co-worker has a copy of it, you may want to borrow it for reading
some time.  It is no longer in print or otherwise available (sigh).

They are all very slow reading.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"13 of 17 valedictorians in Boston High Schools last spring were immigrants
 or children of immigrants"   -- US News and World Report, May 15, 1990

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (01/26/91)

In <11425@darkstar.ucsc.edu> googol@ucscb.ucsc.edu (60778000) writes:

>Hi! Could anyone recommend some books on Unix related to the following
>topics: Unix Kernel, Shell Programming, Unix Utilities . Is there
>any single book that talks about all these topics ? thanks.

I'd recommend the series of books from Hayden Books.  The most recent
Shell Programming book UNIX - System Programming (Revised Ed.) by
Kochan & Wood is quite nice.  ISBN #0-672-48448-X $26.95

There's a whole UNIX series with books covering topics System Programming,
System Administration, Networking, System Security, Text Processing and
Exploring the UNIX System.

There's also a bunch of books on topics dealing with C from the same
publisher.

Jeff
| "Earth destroyed by solar flare.  Film at eleven"  - The last nightly news.|
| jeffo@uiuc.edu (Internet)              These opinions are mine, that's all.|

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/26/91)

heron@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Vance Heron) writes:

>For Shell programming and utilities, I can reccomend "Tricks of the Unix
>Masters" put out by the Waite group.

	Unlike the old days (say, early '80s) there are lots of good texts
on UNIX topics today. I was rather underwhelmed by Sage's "Tricks". I've
come up with more useful ones myself.

	For the beginner, my favorite is still McGilton and Morgan's
_Introducing_the_UNIX_System_ for System V, with Kernigan and Pike's _UNIX
Programming_Environment_ a good intermediate level follow-on.

-----------------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

scott@nbc1.ge.com (Scott Barman) (01/27/91)

In article <18984@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>In article <1991Jan24.072226.16356@bradley.bradley.edu> data@buhub (Mark Hall) writes:
>	"A Commentary on the UNIX Operating System", J. Lions, 1977.
>
>The first two are mandatory, the third is there for historical reference.
>If a co-worker has a copy of it, you may want to borrow it for reading
>some time.  It is no longer in print or otherwise available (sigh).

The Lions book contains reformatted sources and commentary on Version 6
and was deemed in violation of AT&T's source agreement.  The only way
I've seen a copy of this is in photocopy form.

--
scott barman			|  There comes a time in everyone's existance
scott@nbc1.ge.com		|  when actions speak louder than words.