[comp.unix.wizards] Where are all the unix wizards ????

lim@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/15/91)

hello
so where are all the unix wizards?????

bye to this empty "world"

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (01/15/91)

In article <27876.27918de4@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> lim@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>hello
>so where are all the unix wizards?????
>
>bye to this empty "world"

I'm getting ready to have spaghetti dinner.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."

ggw%wolves@cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) (01/15/91)

Listening to see what develops here.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]

bhoughto@pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (01/17/91)

In article <18949@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>In article <1753@inews.intel.com> bhoughto@pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>>different languages on a system that has neither named
>>pipes nor a debugger capable of grokking the multiprocess
>>paradigm...
>
>Named pipes are an easy problem to overcome.  You write a
>device driver [...]

I have no authority to write a driver.  This here's an
application program in a third-party CAD environment, with
no way (no source license, neither) to alter the kernel's
functionality.  Doing so would require redoing
acceptance-testing of all the software we own or wrote for
these machines.  NFW.

I'm hacking around it by passing filenames as command-line
arguments and using the files as drop-boxes for commands
that the several processes can read and interpret.  There's
one program that does nothing but wait around to be hit with
a SIGINT so it can SIGCLD its parent.  It's sort of a
1/n-nplex communication system; or, named pipes with external
blocking.

Come to think of it, it's _five_ different languages.

>I don't know what to suggest as far as the debugger
>goes.  The most clever hack I've seen is piping to an
>ADB subprocess which started the program you want to
>debug.  Hmmm.

The system provides a debugger that can attach a running
process, so I may put hard waits into the code, then
start n versions of the debugger, each in the proper source-
directory for the executable to which it's attached.

				--Blair
				  "Which tie goes with
				   this color pointy hat?"

carey@cs.uiuc.edu (John Carey) (01/17/91)

lim@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>hello
>so where are all the unix wizards?????

They're at home, washin' their tights!!!
--
John Carey
University of Illinois

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (01/17/91)

>>so where are all the unix wizards?????
>I'm getting ready to have spaghetti dinner.
.
Eating your code :-?
.
.
--

	Root Boy Jim Cottrell <rbj@uunet.uu.net>
	Close the gap of the dark year in between

harry@svnet.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan16.213013.28003@cs.uiuc.edu>, carey@cs.uiuc.edu (John Carey) writes:
> lim@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>
> >hello
> >so where are all the unix wizards?????
>
> They're at home, washin' their tights!!!
> --
> John Carey

Us "wizards" are waiting untill such drivel is gone from the net. 8-)

Of course it would stop being Usenet News at the point 8-) 8-).

Obj Wiz talk:

Most of the questions I have answered of late have been dealing with
sendmail. A lot of people have different problems with re-routing,
aliasing beyond what /usr/lib/aliases can handle, etc...

Question/Topic: Your Favorite Pet Tricks of Sendmail.

Send them in to : harry@usrgrp.uniforum.org (My "real" machine) and
I'll test and repost in a summary.

---
Harry Skelton                | harry@usrgrp.uniforum.org
Senior Systems Administrator | ..!uunet!usrgrp!harry
UniForum                     | 408-986-8840 x25
RBIFF<@$+>$+	$#error $:$1: evolution error - no core
--

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (01/25/91)

In article <118762@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>>>so where are all the unix wizards?????
>>I'm getting ready to have spaghetti dinner.
>.
>Eating your code :-?
>.

  I've heard of a combination food processor and word processor,
  for people who want to mince their words, or who fear they may
  have to eat them.

hwt@bwdlh490.BNR.CA (Henry Troup) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.200431.13422@athena.cs.uga.edu>,
mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
> [...]

Dining with philosophers, are we?

Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | The .signature is the
P.O. Box 3511, Stn. C. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4H7| lowest form of humour
uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA +1 613-765-2337 |

terryl@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (01/26/91)

In article <5454@bwdls58.UUCP> hwt@bwdlh490.BNR.CA (Henry Troup) writes:
>In article <1991Jan24.200431.13422@athena.cs.uga.edu>,
>mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
>Dining with philosophers, are we?

     What are you talking about???? Wizards DON'T use forks; they don't even
know what they're for!!!!! (-:

hbetel@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (01/28/91)

In article <8849@sail.LABS.TEK.COM> terryl@sail.LABS.TEK.COM writes:
>In article <5454@bwdls58.UUCP> hwt@bwdlh490.BNR.CA (Henry Troup) writes:
>>Dining with philosophers, are we?
>     What are you talking about???? Wizards DON'T use forks; they don't even
>know what they're for!!!!! (-:

	Oh?  So, tell me, what do you do before you exec?

Jamie

spm2d@newton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steven P. Miale) (02/04/91)

>>>I'm getting ready to have spaghetti dinner.
>>.
>>Eating your code :-?
>>.
>
>  I've heard of a combination food processor and word processor,
>  for people who want to mince their words, or who fear they may
>  have to eat them.

Seen on a University notice:
Remember, just because food processor and word processor have similar
form, it doesn`t mean they have similar function.