FidoNet:  SYSOP, 1:221/171            | N2M 5E6 CANADA
Data:     (519) 742-8939              | (519) 741-9553
The mile is traversed not by a single leap, but by a procession of coherent
steps; those who insist on making the trip in a single element will be failing
long after you and I have discovered new worlds.        - me

rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (02/07/91)

In article <15094@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>I thought this group was going to be reserved for wizards!?

not a chance.  too many people climbing over each other to offer incorrect
answers.  there's so much chaff that this group is practically worthless.

--
Rodney

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (02/07/91)

In article <BN^&ZL=@rpi.edu> rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:
>In article <15094@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>I thought this group was going to be reserved for wizards!?
>
>not a chance.  too many people climbing over each other to offer incorrect
>answers.  there's so much chaff that this group is practically worthless.

You know, you're right. I know, lets rename it. How about comp.unix.internals?

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell: One time sex kitten to Buddy Holly
Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk || ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (02/08/91)

According to gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn):
>I thought this group was going to be reserved for wizards!?

They're hung over from the comp.unix.wizards re-creation party.
(It was invitation only, of course.)
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
 "Most of my code is written by myself.  That is why so little gets done."

yuf@sequent.UUCP (Kyle Grieser) (02/08/91)

In article <BN^&ZL=@rpi.edu> rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:
>In article <15094@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>I thought this group was going to be reserved for wizards!?
>
>not a chance.  too many people climbing over each other to offer incorrect
>answers.  there's so much chaff that this group is practically worthless.

I'm just amazed at how many people are posting these wrong answers after
a few quite obviously correct ones are already here.  Also note that the
correct solutions are usually easier to pull off then the wrong ones :-)

----
Kyle Grieser				yuf@sequent.com
Sequent Computer Systems Inc.		...!sequent!yuf
15450 S.W. Koll Parkway
Beaverton, OR 97006			(503) 578-3709

jsalmi@Solbourne.COM (John Salmi) (02/08/91)

In article <BN^&ZL=@rpi.edu> rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:
>In article <15094@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>I thought this group was going to be reserved for wizards!?
>
>not a chance.  too many people climbing over each other to offer incorrect
>answers.  there's so much chaff that this group is practically worthless.

seconded.  the signal to noise ration is way skewed.  too bad.  the
possibilities were there...

--
John Salmi			jsalmi@solbourne.com
Solbourne Computer Inc.		(303) 678-4465

    "Skiing.  It's an attitude, an addiction, a passion and a lifestyle."

jmason@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Jamie Mason) (02/08/91)

In article <52618@sequent.UUCP> yuf@eng3.UUCP (Kyle Grieser) writes:
>I'm just amazed at how many people are posting these wrong answers after
>a few quite obviously correct ones are already here.  Also note that the
>correct solutions are usually easier to pull off then the wrong ones :-)

	Well, of course.  The right answers to any problem tend to be
simple and elegant.  It just takes some insight to see them.

Jamie  ...  "Who was that Masked Interrupt?"
Written On  Friday, February 8, 1991  at  01:28:39am EST

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (02/08/91)

In article <27B18FBC.3065@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn):
>>I thought this group was going to be reserved for wizards!?
>
>They're hung over from the comp.unix.wizards re-creation party.
>(It was invitation only, of course.)

My solution has been the use of a now-large KILL file.

However, given the USENET relation "Volume times a Constant equals
Signal", it is easy to prove that as volume approachs infinity,
noise approaches volume ...
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.

volpe@camelback.crd.ge.com (Christopher R Volpe) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb7.154923.367@ibmpcug.co.uk>, dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
(Matthew Farwell) writes:

|>You know, you're right. I know, lets rename it. How about
comp.unix.internals?

Seriously, though, how about renaming it "comp.unix.wizards_only". This might
get the point across that this group does not exist so that novices can
ask questions of wizards.

|>Dylan.
|>--
|>Matthew J Farwell: One time sex kitten to Buddy Holly
|>Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk || ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
|>'If music be the food of love, are you the indigestion?'

Chris Volpe
G.E. Corporate R&D
volpecr@crd.ge.com