[comp.unix.wizards] newsreaders may ignore comp.unix.wizards

adeboer@gjetor.geac.COM (Anthony DeBoer) (02/25/91)

In article <2590@root44.co.uk> gwc@root.co.uk (Geoff Clare) writes:
>I was curious that the group had apparently not been re-created and checked
>in the active file on our system, only to find that it was there after all.
>A little investigation revealed that my newsreader (nn) had ignored it
>because my .newsrc still had a line left over from the last incarnation of
>comp.unix.wizards showing articles 1-19898 as read.  As the re-created
>group started again from article number 1, nn has been treating all
>articles as already read.  Other newsreaders may be doing the same.

Now, isn't this the sort of thing that would only be caught by a wizard? This
deletion-and-recreation fiasco in comp.unix.wizards might ultimately have had
the benefit of keeping a lot of non-wizards out of the group... :-) Sort of
like the forgeries-only setup in alt.hackers, but in the read direction
instead of the write direction.
--
Anthony DeBoer NAUI#Z8800 | adeboer@gjetor.geac.com   | Programmer (n): One who
Geac J&E Systems Ltd.     | uunet!geac!gjetor!adeboer | makes the lies the

cdash@margaux.colorado.edu (Charles Shub) (02/27/91)

In article <whatever> adeboer@gjetor.geac.COM (Anthony DeBoer) writes:
=>  In article <2590@root44.co.uk> gwc@root.co.uk (Geoff Clare) writes:
=>  >I was curious that the group had apparently not been re-created and checked
=>  >in the active file on our system, only to find that it was there after all.
=>  >A little investigation revealed that my newsreader (nn) had ignored it
=>  >because my .newsrc still had a line left over from the last incarnation of
=>  >comp.unix.wizards showing articles 1-19898 as read.  As the re-created
=>  >group started again from article number 1, nn has been treating all
=>  >articles as already read.  Other newsreaders may be doing the same.
=>
=> Now, isn't this the sort of thing that would only be caught by a wizard? This

OBVIOUSLY NOT.  Just look at the drivel that has appeared here since the
recreattion.
--

charlie shub  cdash@boulder.Colorado.EDU  -or-  ..!{ucar|nbires}!boulder!cdash
  or even     cdash@colospgs (BITNET)     -or-  (719) 593-3492

chrisn@cs.arizona.edu (Christopher E. Niswander) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb27.014901.5228@csn.org>, cdash@margaux.colorado.edu (Charles Shub) writes:
> In article <whatever> adeboer@gjetor.geac.COM (Anthony DeBoer) writes:
> =>  In article <2590@root44.co.uk> gwc@root.co.uk (Geoff Clare) writes:
> =>  >A little investigation revealed that my newsreader (nn) had ignored it
> =>  >because my .newsrc still had a line left over from the last incarnation of
> =>  >comp.unix.wizards showing articles 1-19898 as read.  As the re-created
> =>  >group started again from article number 1, nn has been treating all
> =>  >articles as already read.  Other newsreaders may be doing the same.
> =>
> => Now, isn't this the sort of thing that would only be caught by a wizard? This
>
> OBVIOUSLY NOT.  Just look at the drivel that has appeared here since the
> recreattion.

You don't have to catch that glitch to read comp.unix.wizards; you only need
to have a .newsrc that was created since the last incarnation.  So we drivelling
newcomers with new accounts (or who just happened to completely re-initialize
our .newsrc for some reason) can read comp.unix.wizards without even
having to think.  Only old-timers with old accounts must catch the problem to
read the newsgroup.  So maybe the restart glitch _does_ have an influence
on the recent drivel quotient of comp.unix.wizards, but an effect _opposite_
to what Geoff Clare might have expected. ;^)

chrisn@cs.arizona.edu         (Chris Niswander / PO Box 857 / Oracle AZ 85623)

Disclaimer:  I didn't write this.  Someone else is using my account.  I am in
	     a small village in Baja California 80 miles from the nearest
	     telephone, getting ready for the eclipse.
Disclaimer': I don't believe my opinions; why should you?