[comp.unix.wizards] syncing passwd files for NFS

kavitsky@hsi86.hsi.com (Jim Kavitsky) (02/28/91)

     Our site has an irritating problem at hand: how to sync up the password
and group files of a 4.3BSD VAX and a DG/UX (yuck!) Data General so that NFS
may be run without file ownership problems. Has anyone else out there had to
do this?

     The problem involves chowning and chgrping the existing file system
to match the new password file. I don't want to have to do this with a slew
of finds! I seem to remember reading on the net about a program that did this
by hopping down the inode table and making the appropriate changes. Sound
familiar anyone?

     Any ideas for handling this problem, or any expected pitfalls would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim Kavitsky
3M Health Information Systems
kavitsky@hsi.com

torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) (03/03/91)

In article <3163@hsi86.hsi.com> kavitsky@hsi86.hsi.com (Jim Kavitsky) writes:
>     The problem involves chowning and chgrping the existing file system
>to match the new password file. I don't want to have to do this with a slew
>of finds! I seem to remember reading on the net about a program that did this
>by hopping down the inode table and making the appropriate changes. Sound
>familiar anyone?

One such set of programs (partly by me) is available for anonymous FTP
from host mimsy.umd.edu (128.8.128.8 for those of you who are, tsk tsk,
not running a name server) as the compressed tar file

	pub/unify_uids.tar.Z

Please limit FTP access to off-peak east coast hours (i.e., try to stay
off during the 8AM--6PM E[SD]T).
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab EE div (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek@ee.lbl.gov