[comp.unix.wizards] IRC

unx20238@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Lonny L. Lowe) (03/07/91)

 I have searched high and low for ANY information on IRC or Internet Relay
Chat, and have found NOTHING.   Do any of you know how to access IRC, or maybe
just point me in the right direction?

Thanks for you time.

unx20238@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu
unx10030@unx1.ucc.okstate.edu

Lonny L. Lowe

  (Note Followup-To.)

In article <1991Mar6.200002.2563@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu>, unx20238@unx2.ucc.okstate.edu (Lonny L. Lowe) writes:
|>  I have searched high and low for ANY information on IRC or Internet Relay
|> Chat, and have found NOTHING.   Do any of you know how to access IRC, or maybe
|> just point me in the right direction?

  A recent posting in news.newusers.questions, addressing this question, is
appended to the end of this message.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

Article: 4329 of news.newusers.questions
From: eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott)
Newsgroups: news.newusers.questions
Subject: Re: Telnet Sites
Date: 6 Mar 91 10:09:42 GMT

In article <1054@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> tlglenn@cs.arizona.edu
	(Ted L. Glenn) writes:
>     For those of you who don't know, Brian is looking for Internet Relay
>Chat (IRC) servers. A list of servers available via telnet is:

They're NOT available "via telnet" except possibly for protocol
hackers.  These are TCP services but don't use TELNET protocol.

IRC client software is available for UNIX, VAX/VMS, and VM/CMS
systems (and possibly others)--you run that to use IRC.

Mainstream distribution: tolsun.oulu.fi:irc/irc2.6pre18.tar.Z
Experimental release: cs.bu.edu:irc/irc2.6pre18.bu.1.tar.Z

Above contain client and server code.  Most sites will _not_
be running servers, but instead connect to one of the (well
over a hundred) currently operating.

Alternative UNIX client: rvw2.hhs.ri.cmu.edu:ircII2.06.tar.Z

There are also some GNU Emacs clients "out there"--about 3
"competing" versions at last count.

No special privileges are required to compile and install client-
side software.  However, the UNIX versions require a fair
amount of experience to configure properly and actually compile.
System administrators are generally capable of handling it; many
end-users are not due to its complexity (and size, if your site
believes in miniscule disk quotas).  Note that this software is
continually in a state of development, and you would be expected
not to fall too far behind... incompatible changes are the norm
with major releases.  If you're willing to make a local support
commitment, IRC can be ... quite interesting.

Relevant mailing lists:
	irclist@tolsun.oulu.fi
		for IRC developers; patches, announcements of
		new versions, discussions of proposed features,
		etc. appear here
	operlist@cs.bu.edu
		for administrators of the IRC subnetwork;
		"human" issues rather than technical (coding)
		stuff appear here; connectivity management
		here as well

Requests for subscription should be sent to irclist-request
and/or operlist-request at the same domains--NOT to the lists
themselves.  There is also an  alt.irc  newsgroup which never
really caught on.

Another Internet chat system is Forumnet.  This makes use of
a "proprietary" server at the University of Kentucky.

f.ms.uky.edu:forumnet/fn.0.10.tar.Z
	UNIX client
f.ms.uky.edu:forumnet/vms-fn/*
	VAX/VMS client (requires TWG or Multinet TCP/IP)

Questions about this software should be directed to
sean@s.ms.uky.edu.

					-=EPS=-