[comp.unix.wizards] comp.unix.wizards

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (05/02/89)

I have been trying in vain to make mkshlib(1) give me a valid library.
I understand the theory, and can get "good" target ad host libraries
out.  These will link correctly and look OK (using nm(1)).  However,
at exec(2)-time, exec kills the process (SIGKILL).  There are two
occurances in the SV/386 r3.0 kernel exec() code for psignal(9) so the
mechanism seems legit.  This happens even to my reducio-absurdum example,
so I think it has something to do with mkshlib(1).

Has *anyone* made an SV/386 shared lib work?  (AT&T apparently did, though
I know not what tricks were used.)  Can anyone give any pointers as to how
to make even my trivial example work correctly?

Thanks,

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave@ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

str@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen T Rubinstein) (03/25/91)

Using <o wiz> I found comp.unix.wizards and I was told that there are 32 files
to read, but I couldn't get at them.  Is there something special I have to do
to get into that news group are is there just a glitch in the system?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

str@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen T Rubinstein) (03/26/91)

Thanks for all the replies--both the serious and other.  What I figured is
going on is that we have bad news software.  I was wrong (well not really
since we do have junk software).  What is going on is that CU thinks that
students might learn about bugs in news groups like this and exploit them.
(I guess they missed this one.)  Also people at CU can not get into any groups
having to do with security.  I guess CU does not figure we have the brains to
go through some other system to get at these news groups, or to use a library
to find out the same sort of info.  Go figure.

Stephen

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.183444.12769@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> str@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen T Rubinstein) writes:

>Thanks for all the replies--both the serious and other.  What I figured is
>going on is that we have bad news software.  I was wrong (well not really
>since we do have junk software).  What is going on is that CU thinks that
>students might learn about bugs in news groups like this and exploit them.
>(I guess they missed this one.)  Also people at CU can not get into any groups
>having to do with security.  I guess CU does not figure we have the brains to
>go through some other system to get at these news groups, or to use a library
>to find out the same sort of info.  Go figure.

Hey man, if CUCCA "let" us learn about the nuts and bolts of unix
then what would they do for a living?  IMHO, CUCCA is like the Federal
government at times in that it seems the only justification for its
existence is to perpetuate its existence.  go figger...

Besides, the holes in unix security ARE well documented.  Any hacker
could have his way with most unix systems if he/she attended a few
security seminars or read a few trade magazines.

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Show me the way to the
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |next whiskey bar...
Send flames to /dev/null      |-The Doors-

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/26/91)

Regarding my previous article, if anyone would like to respond please
do so via email since our administration won't let us see the replies.

Sometimes I wonder if there isn't some bored administrator monitoring
my port for kicks.  We all know it would only be too easy.

Regards,

Chris

p.s.  Big brother is watching...