[comp.unix.wizards] dosedit style command edit in UNIX?

dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) (04/11/91)

The MS-DOS public domain TSR 'dosedit' keeps a circular
stack of recently executed commands. The user may retrieve the
most recent command with a single keystroke (up-arrow), next
most recent with an additional keystroke, etc. The user may also
edit a selected command with simple cursor motion and overtype
or character insertion.

Is UNIX so sophisticated that no one has been able to implement
such a simple-minded utility?
No,
   no,
       no, .... not the flames!!  :-)

Thanks,
Dick Schlotfeldt       dick@cimcor.mn.org

jeenglis@alcor.usc.edu (Joe English) (04/11/91)

dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
>The MS-DOS public domain TSR 'dosedit' keeps a circular
>stack of recently executed commands. The user may retrieve the
>most recent command with a single keystroke (up-arrow), next
>most recent with an additional keystroke, etc. The user may also
>edit a selected command with simple cursor motion and overtype
>or character insertion.

>Is UNIX so sophisticated that no one has been able to implement
>such a simple-minded utility?

The C shell has a similar feature, which is not exactly what
you're looking for, but it's more powerful in many ways.  Run
'man csh' and look for the 'HISTORY' section for more details.
'tcsh' has exactly what you're looking for, in addition to csh's
added functionality.

--jeenglis@alcor.usc.edu

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Varney) (04/11/91)

Try bash
			Bruce
---------
                                   ###             ##
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #
;-)                                 #                #
;'>                                #               ##

emmonsl@athena.ecs.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.212905.2234@cimcor.mn.org> dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
>The MS-DOS public domain TSR 'dosedit' keeps a circular
>stack of recently executed commands. The user may retrieve the
>most recent command with a single keystroke (up-arrow), next
>most recent with an additional keystroke, etc. The user may also
>edit a selected command with simple cursor motion and overtype
>or character insertion.
>
>Is UNIX so sophisticated that no one has been able to implement
>such a simple-minded utility?

Well, the 'command stack' is already there, at least in csh and ksh via
the command history...  Try the newest newcsh, it has vi-type editing
of the command history.  Ksh has this feature as well.  I still prefer
the standard csh type command retreival though: !!, !?, !$, et.al.  Old
habits die hard (even the good ones!)

			L. Scott Emmons
			---------------
	emmons@csus.csus.edu  <or>  ...[ucbvax]!ucdavis!csus!emmons
		Packet: kc6nfp@kg6xx.#nocal.ca.usa.na

trs@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (Thomas R. Statnick) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.212905.2234@cimcor.mn.org> dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
>The MS-DOS public domain TSR 'dosedit' keeps a circular
>[more stuff excluded...]
>
>Is UNIX so sophisticated that no one has been able to implement
>such a simple-minded utility?

  Well, there are two shells that support this sort of history and
command line editing, namely, Ohio State "tcsh" (which is a set of patches
that you apply to "csh" source), and GNU "bash"....  There are probably
more shells out there that do this sort of thing, but these 2 shells
come to mind...

   trs

duplain@rtf.bt.co.uk (Andy Duplain) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr10.212905.2234@cimcor.mn.org> dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
>The MS-DOS public domain TSR 'dosedit' keeps a circular
>stack of recently executed commands. The user may retrieve the
>most recent command with a single keystroke (up-arrow), next
>most recent with an additional keystroke, etc. The user may also
>edit a selected command with simple cursor motion and overtype
>or character insertion.

The Korn shell can do this.

Try these in your .kshrc file, using emacs editing mode:

alias __A=		# cursor up
alias __B=		# cursor down
alias __C=		# cursor right
alias __D=		# cursor left
alias __H=		# start of line (home)
alias __F=		# end

Andy Duplain, BT Customer Systems, Brighton, UK.
#define DISCLAIMER My views and opinions are not necessarily that of my company
Internet: duplain@rtf.bt.co.uk         UUCP: ...!uunet!ukc!axion!bscsq1!duplain

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr10.212905.2234@cimcor.mn.org> dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
>The MS-DOS public domain TSR 'dosedit' keeps a circular
>stack of recently executed commands. The user may retrieve the
>most recent command with a single keystroke (up-arrow), next
>most recent with an additional keystroke, etc. The user may also
>edit a selected command with simple cursor motion and overtype
>or character insertion.
>
>Is UNIX so sophisticated that no one has been able to implement
>such a simple-minded utility?

You could try ksh.  It has full command line editing with ^p to retrieve the
last command line executed.  It also has ^rstring to search for commands in
the history file.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

magnus%thep.lu.se@Urd.lth.se (Magnus Olsson) (04/16/91)

In article <16509@chaph.usc.edu> jeenglis@alcor.usc.edu (Joe English) writes:
>dick@cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
>>Is UNIX so sophisticated that no one has been able to implement
>>such a simple-minded utility?
>
>The C shell has a similar feature, which is not exactly what
>you're looking for, but it's more powerful in many ways.  Run
>'man csh' and look for the 'HISTORY' section for more details.
>'tcsh' has exactly what you're looking for, in addition to csh's
>added functionality.

ksh also has this feature, and under Ultrix version 4, /bin/csh has it as well
(though you have to press ESC to get into editing mode for some unknown reason).