[comp.unix.wizards] ctrl-P

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/16/91)

In article <14594@ulysses.att.com> andys@ulysses.att.com (Andy Sherman) writes:
>Admin:  "Dave, does your password happen to have a control-P in it?
>	That's the halt character for a Vax console."

Yeah, this happens every once in a while here, where we use a video terminal
and somebody tries to do some EMACS-style editing.  The really sick thing
is that the inverse operation seems to be to type:
	SET TERM CONSOLE
which is hardly intuitive!

torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) (04/17/91)

In article <15849@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>The really sick thing is that the inverse operation seems to be to type:
>	SET TERM CONSOLE
>which is hardly intuitive!

Actually, it is `SET TERMINAL PROGRAM' (which can be abbreviated SE T P);
this is only for 780s (and 782, 785, etc).  Some VAXen have no console
processor; there ^P (if it does anything) use the main CPU, effectively
halting the machine; the command here is usually `continue' (C).  On the
8600 `continue' works even if you did not halt.  I have never used an
8800 or 9000 so I have no idea what they do; they seem likely to have
separate console processors.

Incidentally, the console processor for an 8600 is a PDP-11 (T11 chip)
running RT11 (or is it RSX? I think RT11).  Occasionally it will drop
into the command processor loop.  I always thought it would be amusing
to put V6 or V7 on the console processor....
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek@ee.lbl.gov

shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Melinda Shore) (04/17/91)

[]
Similarly, the Harris HCX console processors use '~' as the halt
character.  We had an HCX-9 at PSC, and one day I got a call from
my manager.  He was working at the console in the machine room, and
he said that every time he referred to his home directory the machine
crashed ...
--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/18/91)

In article <12134@dog.ee.lbl.gov> torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:
>Actually, it is `SET TERMINAL PROGRAM' ...

Oops, see how counterituitive that is, I couldn't even remember it.
Of course what all these VAXes ought to have is a nice little red
button to press when we want to get the control program's attention.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/18/91)

In article <12134@dog.ee.lbl.gov> torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:
>Actually, it is
Oops, see how counterituitive that is, I couldn't even remember it.
Of course what all these VAXes ought to have is a nice little red
button to press when we want to get the control program's attention.
#! rnews 1243

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (04/23/91)

shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Melinda Shore) writes:
>Similarly, the Harris HCX console processors use '~' as the halt

Hazeltine braindamage lives on!
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane

In article <158?!F6@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <12134@dog.ee.lbl.gov> torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:
>>Actually, it is SET TERMINAL PROGRAM
>Oops, see how counterituitive that is, I couldn't even remember it.

Actually, that's not too bad, it's better than the VMS equivalent of "cd".
Not "SET PATH" or "SET DIRECTORY", but "SET DEFAULT".
Yeah, right. Default what?

Chris, I like your idea for putting V6 or V7 on the console
processor, but don't let Henry near it, or no one else would
be able to use the VAX attached to it. :-)
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane