[comp.unix.wizards] X sucks

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/10/91)

In article <128236@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>Another thing I hate about X is the protocol.

To my mind the worst problem with X is that to get anything at all done,
two processes must communicate back and forth through the protocol
bottleneck.  This inherently limits the interactivity attainable using
typical hardware (Sun workstations, for example) to levels below my
personal standards for interactive graphics.  To give a specific
example, when I borrow the use of somebody's Sun running an X window
manager, I often fail to "hit" pop-up menu items when I select them.
That's because I'm used to the responsiveness of the Blit family of
terminals, where the interaction is entirely under control of a single
process with direct access to the terminal handware.  What seems like
a natural expectation for selection from menus becomes more difficult
under X, where I have to give the protocols time to trickle back and
forth while I'm making the menu seclection.

gamiddle@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (04/11/91)

X does suck, but its popularity seems inevitable, since it doesn't cost any
money.  Other, better systems could have become the de facto standard, had
they been as cheap.  Of the set of free, reasonably portable, reasonably
hardware-independent window systems that have been available since
workstation hardware became affordable, X seems to be the best.  Of course,
that set has only one member.

 -Guy Middleton, University of Waterloo		gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu
		(+1 519 885 1211 x3472)		gamiddleton@watmath.uwaterloo.ca

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (04/11/91)

In article <15785@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <128236@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>>Another thing I hate about X is the protocol.
>
>To my mind the worst problem with X is that to get anything at all done,
>two processes must communicate back and forth through the protocol
>bottleneck.

Yeah. I already complained that the device independence is in the
wrong place (in the client rather than in the server where it belongs).
I forgot to add that device control is in the wrong place as well.

With Blits and NeWS, you can download code to handle certain events
locally.

>This inherently limits the interactivity attainable using
>typical hardware (Sun workstations, for example) to levels below my
>personal standards for interactive graphics.  To give a specific
>example, when I borrow the use of somebody's Sun running an X window
>manager, I often fail to "hit" pop-up menu items when I select them.

But what's worse than sluggish response is the indeterminence
of type-ahead and mouse-ahead operations. There is no guarantee
that a client won't open a window right where you're typing
or mousing and steal your input. With local device control,
these operations can be synchronized.

>That's because I'm used to the responsiveness of the Blit family of
>terminals, where the interaction is entirely under control of a single
>process with direct access to the terminal handware.  What seems like
>a natural expectation for selection from menus becomes more difficult
>under X, where I have to give the protocols time to trickle back and
>forth while I'm making the menu seclection.

This was one of the motivations for Mark Weiser's pie menus. Even
if the windowing system is slow, you can click a button, move in
a certain direction (say, northwest) and release, even before the
menu is drawn.
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane

fpb@ittc.wec.com (Frank P. Bresz) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.194243.12882@watmath.waterloo.edu> gamiddle@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:

>X does suck, but its popularity seems inevitable, since it doesn't cost any
>money.  Other, better systems could have become the de facto standard, had
>they been as cheap.  Of the set of free, reasonably portable, reasonably
>hardware-independent window systems that have been available since
>workstation hardware became affordable, X seems to be the best.  Of course,
>that set has only one member.

	Well I for one must disagree with the X sucks.  I personally like
X.  I am much happier than I was with sunview.  I use GNU-Emacs in X mode
and I run Xterm all of the time.  I am primarily a text man so I can't
speek to well for the graphics.

	I think the fact about the only set of free software is true.  This
is the reason I run it.  I can't see shelling out good $$$ for something
like MOTIF when I get much faster response from the stuff from MIT.

	I won't even discuss OpenWindows from Sun sans to say it is slow
and uncustomizable aside from that I don't know why I don't like it.

						Lord John Whorfin
--

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (04/13/91)

In fpb@ittc.wec.com (Frank P. Bresz) writes:

>	Well I for one must disagree with the X sucks.  I personally like
>X.  I am much happier than I was with sunview.  I use GNU-Emacs in X mode
>and I run Xterm all of the time.  I am primarily a text man so I can't
>speek to well for the graphics.

You just haven't learned enuf about X to hate it yet.

If all you do is use xterms and other text oriented stuff, then
X is somewhat better than SunView simply because it is more
flexible. And it runs over the network, which is an advantage
as long as the destination is close.

For a slew of good reasons why X is bad, read the introduction
to NeWS documents from Sun. To sum the up briefly: X uses the
wrong imaging model and device control is in the wrong place.

X does have some nifty features. Treating widgets as objects
probably works better in an object oriented language.

Device independence, while done wrong, is more or less
accomplished in a portable way. And a networking windowing
system is definitely a step in the right direction.

>	I think the fact about the only set of free software is true.  This
>is the reason I run it.  I can't see shelling out good $$$ for something
>like MOTIF when I get much faster response from the stuff from MIT.
>
>	I won't even discuss OpenWindows from Sun sans to say it is slow
>and uncustomizable aside from that I don't know why I don't like it.

Both MOTIF and OpenWindows are basicly the same thing: icing on
the cake, which is X. I really don't know the difference either,
however, any program can just use X or any other toolkit directly.
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane

cgy@cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) (04/13/91)

In article <128451@uunet.UU.NET> rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:

>Both MOTIF and OpenWindows are basicly the same thing: icing on
>the cake, which is X. I really don't know the difference either,
>however, any program can just use X or any other toolkit directly.

A minor misconception; what you are thinking of is Open Look.  OpenWindows
is Sun's amalgamation of X and NeWS.

curtis

root@NEXTSERVER.CS.STTHOMAS.EDU (Max Tardiveau) (04/13/91)

The problem with the imaging model of X is, in my opinion, the biggest
flaw. Why on earth did someone have to create a totally new, and for
all practical purposes, terribly inadequate, imaging model ?
NeWS and NextStep did the right thing : they chose an existing, widely
used model (PostScript). It does require more power to run, but is
so much better, and machines are getting more powerful every day
anyway. Having used both NeWS and NextStep, I can assure anyone that
the power available is simply overwhelming compared to X.
Now, because some moron decided he wanted to have his own imaging
system, we're going to be stuck with X for years, until either it is
so vastly enhanced that it is not X as we know (and hate) it, or until
people get sick of it and move to a real system. It doesn't have to
be PostScript, but PostScript works very nicely.

Just my $0.02 worth(less ?).

Max Tardiveau
Department of Computer Science
University of St.Thomas
St.Paul, MN  55105
Internet : m9tardiv@cs.stthomas.edu
"You can create your own opportunities this week.  Blackmail a senior
executive."

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (04/14/91)

root@NEXTSERVER.CS.STTHOMAS.EDU (Max Tardiveau) concisely states the problem:

>[...] (PostScript). It does require more power to run, but is
>so much better, and machines are getting more powerful every day
>anyway.

	This is the issue. Window systems already hog to much power.

	"Machines are getting more powerful every day anyway" - and
spending that power interpreting PostScript (best done by dedicated
hardware rather than my expensive RISC workstation) instead of crunching
the numbers I want crunched is not good.

mjr.

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (04/14/91)

>	This is the issue. Window systems already hog to much power.
>
>	"Machines are getting more powerful every day anyway" - and
>spending that power interpreting PostScript (best done by dedicated
>hardware rather than my expensive RISC workstation) instead of crunching
>the numbers I want crunched is not good.
>
>mjr.

Of course, and thereby we head onto what Sutherland described as the
graphics "Wheel of Reincarnation".

The next fad, no doubt, will be something X-terminal-like to use with
your headless workstation so the workstation can do its work and the
"monitor" can run most of the window system. Intelligent monitors.

Then someone will add a little more processing power to this "smart
monitor", a little more memory expansion, a SCSI port...and gee, we
can dispense with the workstation! Until we want to offload the
graphical interface from the "smart monitor"...

I think Unix is already well into this cycle (think of sitting a
Sun/SLC or X-terminal on top of your workstation and removing the
monitor.)

I assume it's just a matter of time before "smart monitors" running
most of Windows show up for PC's.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs

lm@slovax.Eng.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) (04/14/91)

In article <9104131319.AA01023@.nextserver.cs.stthomas.edu.cs.stthomas.edu..> root@NEXTSERVER.CS.STTHOMAS.EDU (Max Tardiveau) writes:
>The problem with the imaging model of X is, in my opinion, the biggest
>flaw.
>
>system, we're going to be stuck with X for years, until either it is
>so vastly enhanced that it is not X as we know (and hate) it, or until
>people get sick of it and move to a real system.

I think that people will tend to agree with you over time.  Very few
understand what it is you are saying - they see xterms and network
windows and think X is great.  When they see that they can work on a
fast machine and display on their workstation, they are very happy.
Especially when the server is a Cray and the workstation is a Sun or
MIPS.

The problem is that "technically right" != "business right".  People
are far less likely to write apps for NeWS or NextStep because X is the
dominant player in the WS market (if Motif vs Openlook wars continue,
that might kill X, though.  Interesting thought even if unlikely.)

I suspect that we are stuck with X.  X will evolve.  In 5 years, there
will be this thing called X, big and ugly, that does X type imaging and
has Postscript imaging glommed in as well.  Sigh.  Like Ritchie said:
sometimes, when you fill a void it still sucks.
---
Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems     (415) 336-7627       ...!sun!lm or lm@sun.com

root@NEXTSERVER.CS.STTHOMAS.EDU (Max Tardiveau) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr13.173834.14543@decuac.dec.com> mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com

> root@NEXTSERVER.CS.STTHOMAS.EDU (Max Tardiveau) concisely states the problem

>  >[...] (PostScript). It does require more power to run, but is
>  >so much better, and machines are getting more powerful every day
>  >anyway.
>
>	   This is the issue. Window systems already hog to much power.
>
>	   "Machines are getting more powerful every day anyway" - and
>   spending that power interpreting PostScript (best done by dedicated
>   hardware rather than my expensive RISC workstation) instead of crunching
>   the numbers I want crunched is not good.

This is obviously a matter of opinion. While I agree with you that
windowing systems take a large amount of power, I would argue that
it is not too much. I like having nice graphics on my workstation,
and I like to have responsive windows. And, like most people, I use
only a small portion of the processing power of my workstations
(show me a Sparcstation that's 100% busy 100% of the time. There
are probably a few, but not a whole lot).
I think it's worth it. If you need all the power you can get,
there are alternatives to X. On a Sun, you can
run SunView, which takes relatively little power to run.

Max Tardiveau
Department of Computer Science
University of St.Thomas
St.Paul, MN  55105
Internet : m9tardiv@cs.stthomas.edu
"Ban the bomb.  Save the world for conventional warfare."

csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr10.194243.12882@watmath.waterloo.edu> gamiddle@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
>X does suck, but its popularity seems inevitable, since it doesn't cost any
>money.  Other, better systems could have become the de facto standard, had
>they been as cheap.  Of the set of free, reasonably portable, reasonably
>hardware-independent window systems that have been available since
>workstation hardware became affordable, X seems to be the best.  Of course,
>that set has only one member.

Not quite. Remember a very nice package that was posted to c.s.u
a few years back called MGR? Steve Uhler at Bell Labs claimed that
an updated version of that was going to come out eventually, but I've
seen no sign of it. Pity.

[Thinking back, though, I guess MGR only ran on Suns, so maybe that
doesn't qualify as hardware independence.]

--
Dave Mack

ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.143159.3560@alembic.acs.com> csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) writes:

>[Thinking back, though, I guess MGR only ran on Suns, so maybe that
>doesn't qualify as hardware independence.]

Actually...it has been ported to Xenix and, if I am not mistaken, the
3b1's funky little bitmapped display.  The porting requirements, as I
recall (it's been quite a while since I looked at it) seemed quite
minimal.

Personally, I think it's a fine piece of work.
--
	 ken seefried iii	ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu

	"If 'ya can't be with the one you love,
		   honey, love the one you're with..."

flanagan@lisbon.stat.washington.edu (Jim Flanagan) (04/15/91)

In article <544@appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> lm@slovax.Eng.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:
>In article <9104131319.AA01023@.nextserver.cs.stthomas.edu.cs.stthomas.edu..> root@NEXTSERVER.CS.STTHOMAS.EDU (Max Tardiveau) writes:
>The problem is that "technically right" != "business right".  People
>are far less likely to write apps for NeWS or NextStep because X is the
>dominant player in the WS market (if Motif vs Openlook wars continue,
>that might kill X, though.  Interesting thought even if unlikely.)
>
>I suspect that we are stuck with X.  X will evolve.  In 5 years, there
>will be this thing called X, big and ugly, that does X type imaging and
>has Postscript imaging glommed in as well.  Sigh.  Like Ritchie said:
>sometimes, when you fill a void it still sucks.

  White man build big fire, stand far away.

Jim Flanagan			#ifdef OFFENSIVE
flanagan@stat.washington.edu	static char disclaimer[] = NULL;
System Programmer		#endif
UofW Statistics			main(){while(fork());} /* terminate account */

khera@cs.duke.edu (Vivek Khera) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr14.143159.3560@alembic.acs.com> csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) writes:

   In article <1991Apr10.194243.12882@watmath.waterloo.edu> gamiddle@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
   [stuff deleted]
   >workstation hardware became affordable, X seems to be the best.  Of course,
   >that set has only one member.

   Not quite. Remember a very nice package that was posted to c.s.u
   a few years back called MGR? Steve Uhler at Bell Labs claimed that
   an updated version of that was going to come out eventually, but I've
   seen no sign of it. Pity.

   [Thinking back, though, I guess MGR only ran on Suns, so maybe that
   doesn't qualify as hardware independence.]

actually, the libraries could be compiled on any machine, similar to
the way the X library can.  the hardware dependent routines numbered
something like 6 functions.  all in one file, if i recall correctly
(even if it were more, it was still a small portion).  i even got the
MGR libraries to compile on a BBN GP-1000 parallel processor running a
home-brewed version of their OS.  worked like a charm drawing my
graphics on my Sun 3.  i'd like to see MGR updated... even though X is
plenty fast on my SPARC.
Vick Khera, Gradual Student/Systems Guy   Department of Computer Science
ARPA:   khera@cs.duke.edu                 Duke University
UUCP:   ...!mcnc!duke!khera               Durham, NC 27706     (919) 660-6528

dovich@cadence.com (Steven J. Dovich; x272) (04/16/91)

Let's not ignore our history here...

PostScript does not pre-date image processing technology. And the
imaging model used by X is the same one used by the bulk of image
processing and synthesis algorithms. Hence that code (and user base)
benefits most from the X imaging model and not the PostScript one.

PostScript provides an abstraction. That is usually a good thing. Not
every situation calls for the same abstractions. The real trick is
knowing the limitations of each of the relevant abstractions.

To paraphrase the old Mounds candy bar commercial...

	Sometimes you feel like PostScript...  and sometimes you
	don't.

Should all applications pay because some might benefit? And to tie
this point back into the original discussion, how would using the
PostScript imaging model contribute to reducing the cost penalties of
software? Or would it encourage the proliferation of applications that
ignore the cost of computing resources they consume?

--
Steven J. Dovich <dovich@cadence.com>
                                       Cadence Design Systems/ACAE Div.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (04/16/91)

As quoted from <FPB.91Apr12083527@ittc.ittc.wec.com> by fpb@ittc.wec.com (Frank P. Bresz):
+---------------
| 	I think the fact about the only set of free software is true.  This
+---------------

Fact?  So who's about to raid my pocketbook for the copy of MGR I'm porting to
SCO Unix?

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 2m, 220, 440, 1200
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		(QRT on HF until local problems fixed)

>	I won't even discuss OpenWindows from Sun sans to say it is slow
>and uncustomizable

What can you customize in X that you can't customize in Open Windows?

(I won't argue the "slow" part; I've found that, if I've been doing
anything other than running rlogged-in terminal emulators on my machine
- you know, stuff such as *compiles* - OW's even more sluggish at
raising and lowering windows, switching focus, and the like than MIT X
is - and that's using the *same* window manager, "twm", in both cases.

I wonder how much of that can be blamed on the window manager?  It's
certainly customizable.  Hoo boy, is it customizable.  I could probably
live with a *less*-customizable window manager if it had a smaller
working set....)

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr14.143159.3560@alembic.acs.com> csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) writes:
>[...]
>[Thinking back, though, I guess MGR only ran on Suns, so maybe that
>doesn't qualify as hardware independence.]

MGR also operates on 3B1 (aka 7300 aka UNIXPC) systems.  Sources are
available in the osu-cis archives and from other sites around the USA.

MGR is quite popular among the members of the Silicon Valley AT&T UNIX
Users' Group.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr13.173834.14543@decuac.dec.com> mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>spending that power interpreting PostScript (best done by dedicated
>hardware rather than my expensive RISC workstation) instead of crunching
>the numbers I want crunched is not good.

There is no need to have your user interface crunching numbers.
Indeed, the separation of such functions is much of what Plan 9
is all about.

klaus@cnix.uucp (klaus u schallhorn) (04/16/91)

In article <26333@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>In article <1991Apr14.143159.3560@alembic.acs.com> csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) writes:
>>
>>[Thinking back, though, I guess MGR only ran on Suns, so maybe that
>>doesn't qualify as hardware independence.]
>>

>Actually...it has been ported to Xenix and, if I am not mistaken, the
>3b1's funky little bitmapped display.  The porting requirements, as I
>recall (it's been quite a while since I looked at it) seemed quite
>minimal.

Perhaps its time comes when sun drops sunview and attempts to
take away unix by forcing me to use OpenBloat, a day I dread.

So where is the latest version of MGR. Think it's time it get resurrected.

klaus
--
George Orwell was an Optimist

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (04/17/91)

rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:

>	[...] if it can run on as many different architectures and
>	platforms as X, can be run over any 8 bit clean data stream
>	and has all the functionality of X without all the bulk.

	The requirement of "all the functionality of X" is open to debate.
All of X's wonderful functionality is one reason some of us think it's
a mess.

mjr.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (04/17/91)

As quoted from <1991Apr14.143159.3560@alembic.acs.com> by csu@alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack):
+---------------
| Not quite. Remember a very nice package that was posted to c.s.u
| a few years back called MGR? Steve Uhler at Bell Labs claimed that
| an updated version of that was going to come out eventually, but I've
| seen no sign of it. Pity.
|
| [Thinking back, though, I guess MGR only ran on Suns, so maybe that
| doesn't qualify as hardware independence.]
+---------------

The README mentioned a number of versions.  Check mgr.bellcore.com for the
official archive.  And I'm tracing down the last bugs/buglets in a re-port
to SCO Xenix and SCO Unix --- the official port exists but has problems (like
a nasty race condition in a certain piece of code that causes it to dump core
just at the time you need its capabilities most...).  I have hopes that that
port will move to other 386 Unixes fairly easily, although with SCO one can
never count on portability.

++Brandon
--

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) (04/18/91)

In article <544@appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> lm@slovax.Eng.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:
>The problem is that "technically right" != "business right".  People
>are far less likely to write apps for NeWS or NextStep because X is the
>dominant player in the WS market (if Motif vs Openlook wars continue,
>that might kill X, though.  Interesting thought even if unlikely.)

People don't write apps for NeWS or NeXTStep because there's not
enough return for the effort; those systems aren't available on
enough workstations.  Writing to an X-based window interface gives
developers a broader market.

My perception is that Motif is winning the "war" and that OpenLook
will persist as a third proprietary offering from Sun (note Bill
Joy's comment that OpenLook is a "de facto standard" because of
Sun'smarket share).  Does this make any sense?

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

andys@ulysses.att.com (Andy Sherman) (04/19/91)

In article <671916336.14801@mindcraft.com> karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) writes:
>In article <544@appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> lm@slovax.Eng.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:
>My perception is that Motif is winning the "war" and that OpenLook
>will persist as a third proprietary offering from Sun (note Bill
>Joy's comment that OpenLook is a "de facto standard" because of
>Sun'smarket share).  Does this make any sense?

I'm not in the trenches, so I don't know who, (*IF ANYBODY*) is
winning the GUI war.  However, OpenLook(TM) is *not* a proprietary
offering of Sun.  OpenLook is an interface specification that was
jointly published by AT&T and Sun.  The trademark is an AT&T (now USL)
property, not a Sun property.  You can buy OpenLook toolkits from
either AT&T/USL or Sun.  OpenWindows, on the other hand, is a combined
X11R4/NeWS server sold by Sun.  I believe the licensing terms are less
draconian than for NeWS.

Yes, there are ISVs using OpenLook.  For example, the spreadsheet we
use in my lab (20/20) is OpenLook, and no, that wasn't the reason we
bought it, although it was a plus.  For ISVs who want to hedge their
bets, there is an Object Interface library (developed by Solbourne,
but I think the AT&T C++ people may have picked it up as well) that
allows applications to determine their flavor at run time.

Andy Sherman/AT&T Bell Laboratories/Murray Hill, NJ
AUDIBLE:  (201) 582-5928
READABLE: andys@ulysses.att.com  or att!ulysses!andys
What? Me speak for AT&T?  You must be joking!

cks@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (04/20/91)

root@NEXTSERVER.CS.STTHOMAS.EDU (Max Tardiveau) writes:
| This is obviously a matter of opinion. While I agree with you that
| windowing systems take a large amount of power, I would argue that
| it is not too much. I like having nice graphics on my workstation,
| and I like to have responsive windows.

 How many people prefer nice graphics to more responsiveness? Given X
cpu horsepower, it must be divided between responsiveness and pretty
pictures somehow. Personally, I'd happily trade some of the pretty
pictures for faster performance (especially application startup). X11
insists that I take most of the overhead for potential pretty pictures
even if I never use them, which is annoyingly obnoxious.

| And, like most people, I use only a small portion of the processing
| power of my workstations (show me a Sparcstation that's 100% busy 100%
| of the time. There are probably a few, but not a whole lot).

 Peak available CPU is also important -- probably more important than
sustained CPU in terms of user satisfaction (when my machine dies
during a compile I really notice -- far more than I notice the constant
overhead various daemons take). I suspect, although I have no numbers
to back this up, that most workstations have low CPU demands most of
the time, but with very high peaks (more or less 100% utilization) when
things do peak.

--
	"This will be dynamically handled, possibly correctly, in 4.1."
		- Dan Davison on streams configuration in SunOS 4.0

seb@ram.Sun.COM (Shannon Bushman - Sun SVN SE) (04/20/91)

I am sick of this discussion.

If you don't like X, don't use it.

If you have a complaint about X post it in the correct group!!

Send your constructive criticism to someone who will do something!

This is NOT the place for this discussion.

Why do we insist on wasting the bandwidth with this drival?

Spare me the flames >/dev/null

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/21/91)

In article <1625@west.West.Sun.COM> seb@ram.Sun.COM (Shannon Bushman - Sun SVN SE) writes:
>Send your constructive criticism to someone who will do something!

It's too late to fix X11's design.

>This is NOT the place for this discussion.

Sure it is -- we can learn from the mistakes that were made in other
projects when we design a new one.

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (04/26/91)

In article <14619@ulysses.att.com>, andys@ulysses.att.com (Andy Sherman) writes:
> I'm not in the trenches, so I don't know who, (*IF ANYBODY*) is
> winning the GUI war.

What I want to know is why the "GUI war" is even considered worth discussing?

I mean, who cares which marketing gimmick "wins"? It's about as important
in the scheme of things as whether Bud Dry or Bud Light wins Bud Bowl 2.

> For ISVs who want to hedge their
> bets, there is an Object Interface library (developed by Solbourne,
> but I think the AT&T C++ people may have picked it up as well) that
> allows applications to determine their flavor at run time.

So when does this get moved from the library to the server where it belongs?
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com