[comp.unix.wizards] network backup in a heterogeneous environment

kjh@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Kenneth J. Heeres) (04/24/91)

I have a DECstation 5000 running Ultrix 4.1 and I do not have
a decent way of backing up the system.  I do not currently have
any tape device attached to the system and I do not have control
of another UNIX system that has a large capacity tape drive.

I do have:
  A large MVS system running IBM's TCP/IP with tape drives up
  the yazzoo.  This system does not support rdump.

  A VMS system running VMS Ultrix Connection with Exabyte drives.
  This system does not support rdump.

I have looked at ftp's the dump up to these systems but it looks
as though all alternatives require that I have room on the work-
station for the dump.  Is this true????

Does anybody have any cost-effective alternatives or suggestions.

ken

Kenneth J. Heeres                             The Johns Hopkins University
INTERNET: kjh@visual1.jhuapl.edu              Applied Physics Laboratory
                                              Johns Hopkins Road
                                              Laurel, MD 20723-6099

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.140354.25607@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> kjh@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Kenneth J. Heeres) writes:
>I have a DECstation 5000 running Ultrix 4.1 and I do not have
>a decent way of backing up the system.  I do not currently have
>any tape device attached to the system and I do not have control
>of another UNIX system that has a large capacity tape drive.
>
>I do have:
>  A large MVS system running IBM's TCP/IP with tape drives up
>  the yazzoo.  This system does not support rdump.
>
>  A VMS system running VMS Ultrix Connection with Exabyte drives.
>  This system does not support rdump.
>
>I have looked at ftp's the dump up to these systems but it looks
>as though all alternatives require that I have room on the work-
>station for the dump.  Is this true????

     dump(8) can do a dump to a specified file, which is also how
you dump to a tape device other than the default tape.  Does your
MVS system have the NFS server support running?  If so, how about
dumping to a file on that server via NFS?  That way you wouldn't
need rdump(8).  If your MVS system doesn't have enough disk space
to hold a complete backup cycle, you could then offload each dump
file to tape from MVS once it had been created via NFS from your
DECstation.

>Does anybody have any cost-effective alternatives or suggestions.
>
>ken
>
>--
>Kenneth J. Heeres                             The Johns Hopkins University
>INTERNET: kjh@visual1.jhuapl.edu              Applied Physics Laboratory
>                                              Johns Hopkins Road
>                                              Laurel, MD 20723-6099

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Spent a little time on the mountain, Spent a little time on the  *
*   Hill, The things that went down you don't understand, But I      *
*   think in time you will."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time      *
*  since 25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)  *

duncan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Duncan McEwan) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.140354.25607@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> kjh@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Kenneth J. Heeres) writes:
>I do have:
>  A large MVS system running IBM's TCP/IP with tape drives up
>  the yazzoo.  This system does not support rdump.
>
>  A VMS system running VMS Ultrix Connection with Exabyte drives.
>  This system does not support rdump.

All that is needed to support rdump is a way of running "/etc/rmt" via
the rcmd(3) library call (ie via rsh(1).  /etc/rmt should be relatively
easy to port to a non-unix environment.  If your VMS or IBM machines
don't support rsh(1) then it gets a little harder...

Duncan

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (04/26/91)

duncan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Duncan McEwan) writes:

>All that is needed to support rdump is a way of running "/etc/rmt" via
>the rcmd(3) library call (ie via rsh(1).

	It's actually easier than that. Since /etc/rmt expects to be
reading and writing to its standard output, you can just put it (on a
UNIX box, anyhow) where inetd will launch it. On other machines, you
might need to put a few little hacks into it to make it bind a known
port.

	/etc/rmt doesn't have any notion of permissions, so I have a
version that reads an /etc/tapecap file with host/device/user permissions
and a bunch of similar stuff. This code is going to be released when
I've tested it for a while longer. (along with other useful supporting
code)

	There is some brain-damage in the rmt protocol - the tape ioctl
commands *assume* that the values of the mtops are the same, which is a
bit of a nono, and, more amusingly, in some spots it passes data structs
back and forth, without any concern at all with respect to byte order,
and whatnot. (the status/'S' op, for example). Unfortunately, lots of
people seem to use it, so it's hard to make it right. I thought about
fixing it for my version, but that meant I'd have to hack dump/rdump,
too, which is pure evil. For non-dump/rdump archives I have a client
that just handles talking directly to the remote rmtd and stores its
standard input.

mjr.

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.140354.25607@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> kjh@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Kenneth J. Heeres) writes:
>I have a DECstation 5000 running Ultrix 4.1 and I do not have
>a decent way of backing up the system.  I do not currently have
>any tape device attached to the system and I do not have control
>of another UNIX system that has a large capacity tape drive.
>
>I do have:
>  A large MVS system running IBM's TCP/IP with tape drives up
>  the yazzoo.  This system does not support rdump.
>
>  A VMS system running VMS Ultrix Connection with Exabyte drives.
>  This system does not support rdump.
>
>I have looked at ftp's the dump up to these systems but it looks
>as though all alternatives require that I have room on the work-
>station for the dump.  Is this true????
>
>Does anybody have any cost-effective alternatives or suggestions.

sure...we (have to) do it this way for many of the same reasons...

1. nfs-mount either the (shudder...) IBM or the (slight shudder) Vax.
2. dump to a file on the remote system with the tape drives via NFS.
3. have the remote system do the backups for you.

I've successfully gotten up to 125 MB dump files across to a Vax 6410
running UCX 1.2, but the vax was starting to choke at that size.

In a previous job, management was planning to ram the IBM solution down
our throats but we fought 'em off and got 5 8mm devices fro the 100
apollos.

Here, they keep cutting the 8mm's out of the budget (sigh...).
--
                         Vince Skahan
 vince@atc.boeing.com                  ...uw-beaver!bcsaic!vince

 This is your brain on Phillies baseball. Get the picture?

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.134612.10406@decuac.dec.com> mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>duncan@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Duncan McEwan) writes:
>
>>All that is needed to support rdump is a way of running "/etc/rmt" via
>>the rcmd(3) library call (ie via rsh(1).
>
>	It's actually easier than that. Since /etc/rmt expects to be
>reading and writing to its standard output, you can just put it (on a
>UNIX box, anyhow) where inetd will launch it. On other machines, you
>might need to put a few little hacks into it to make it bind a known
>port.
>
>   [remainder deleted  --SJB]

     It's actually easier than that.  The originator of this thread
said that his network had on it an MVS system running IBM's TCP/IP.
IBM's TCP/IP also has software to run an NFS server on the MVS system,
so rdump and rmt are not needed for this job.  dump(8) can dump to a
file specified as a command line option and restore(8) can restore from
a file in the same way.  All that appears necessary is 1) the MVS system
must have an NFS server running that exports a dump data set to the UNIX
system and 2) a dump command that dumps to the data set exported from
the MVS system.  To restore, just specify the same dump data set in the
restore command.
     It is reasonable to assume that the MVS system is frequently backed
up to tape.  If the UNIX dump data set(s) take(s) up too much space on
the MVS system to leave it/them there, it/they can be unloaded to tape
and then deleted from the MVS system's disk(s).

edler@jan.ultra.nyu.edu (Jan Edler) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr24.140354.25607@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> kjh@visual1.jhuapl.edu (Kenneth J. Heeres) writes:
>I have looked at ftp's the dump up to these systems but it looks
>as though all alternatives require that I have room on the work-
>station for the dump.  Is this true????

At least with the 4.3bsd ftp program, you don't need to have room for
your dumps on the workstation.  Essentially all you have to do is

	ftp bighost
	user xxx yyy
	cd zzz
	account www
	binary
	put "|dump 4uf - /filesys" remote-filename
	quit

Where xxx is the user name on the remote host, yyy is the password,
and zzz is directory and account information, if needed.

To do a restore, you basically just reverse the procedure, e.g.,

	get remote-filename "|restore ivf -"

Of course you can do all this in a shell script run in the middle of
the night, and you can be arbitrarily fancy.  E.g., ours figures out
what level dumps to take, and removes old dumps.

Jan Edler
NYU Ultracomputer Research Laboratory
edler@nyu.edu