[comp.unix.wizards] UNIX Security and Monitoring

forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) (04/11/91)

Is there a way to monitor the I/O of another terminal/port in UNIX?

This would be particularly helpful in dealing with hackers and admin
on sensitive systems.

To date, I have not 'seen' anything that will accomplish this task,
however I thought I would ask, in case there's a solution out there
somewhere.

It might be best to EMAIL me on this matter.

Thanks,

Forrest

--

--------------------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--------------------
Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie@morywn.UUCP

nem@hare.udev.cdc.com (neal e meyer x2257) (04/12/91)

If you get a positive response please send me a copy. Thanks,

Neal

nem@udev.cdc.com

rcedv@netmbx.UUCP (R. Cirksena) (04/14/91)

nem@hare.udev.cdc.com (neal e meyer x2257) writes:

>If you get a positive response please send me a copy. Thanks,

>Neal

>nem@udev.cdc.com

me too. Thanks,
Ralf
| Ralf Cirksena        |_______________Email: rcedv@netmbx.UUCP___________|
|                      |        If I knew everything I don't know yet,    |
| 1000 Berlin 36       |      I whould like to forget everything I know.  |

brunette@sjuphil.uucp (Glenn M. Brunette) (04/15/91)

Could an answer be sent to me as well...

Thanks in advance,
Glenn
brunette@sju

 Glenn Brunette,  Academic Computing Network Consultant      sssss
                                                           ss      jjjjjjj
                                                            ss       j
             brunette@sjuphil.UUCP                           ss     j  u    u
             brunette%sjuphil.sju.edu@RELAY.cs.net      sssss      j  u    u

pataky@tove.cs.umd.edu (Bill Pataky) (04/16/91)

In article <78@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>Is there a way to monitor the I/O of another terminal/port in UNIX?
>
>This would be particularly helpful in dealing with hackers and admin
>on sensitive systems.		       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This would be even more useful to the hackers themselves.  Think about
it.

It seems to me that security and monitoring are mutually exclusive,
especially on "sensitive systems".  Consider the following example:

You are sysadmin at a University.  The profs on your systems write their
exams on your system and encrypt them.  The student worker who does
your dumps/restores uses the monitoring tool you mention to grab the
encryption key used by his prof.  The student can then decrypt the
exam.  Or worse yet, the student can grab the entire exam as it is
typed in leaving no changed file access times.

(I'm not saying that student workers are un-trustworthy, just using this
to illustrate a point)

Generally, any tool that allows circumvention of Unix's security
policy even by administrators, only serves to weaken overall
system security.

	Bill Pataky
	domain:	pataky@itd.nrl.navy.mil		     voice: 202.404.8355
	path: 	..!uunet!itd.nrl.navy.mil!pataky     fax:   202.404.7942

rwu@ibism.UUCP (Raymond Wu) (05/04/91)

Well, ahow about looking at it from a different angle:

Let's suppose that you're a paranoid systems security administrator
and you have a need to monitor / review all the events that transpired
when access to the production environment was granted to a programmer / support person.  Yes, the logons are restricted in such a way that someone must turn on the account for you.  This adminstrator's sole purpose in life is to ensure that no support person will load in unauthorized code or inflict some damage to the physical environment.

By the way, what's the answer to the availability of such a beast - I happen
to know of an organization that is on the lookout for this monitoring / playback capability.

	Raymond Wu
	Citibank                           Phone:   (212) 657-5426
	111 Wall Street                    Fax:     (212) 825-8607
	17th floor / zone 10               E-Mail:   uunet!ibism!rwu
	New York City, New York    10043