[comp.unix.wizards] Dumb users

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (05/23/91)

rockwell@socrates.umd.edu (Raul Rockwell) writes:

>"It doesn't matter how smart the program is, a dumb user will always
> find a way to screw it up."  -- Joanne Byrd

	If you write software that even an idiot can use, only idiots
will use it.

mjr.

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.212051.29589@decuac.dec.com> mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>rockwell@socrates.umd.edu (Raul Rockwell) writes:
>>"It doesn't matter how smart the program is, a dumb user will always
>> find a way to screw it up."  -- Joanne Byrd
>	If you write software that even an idiot can use, only idiots
>will use it.

All generalizations are false.

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (05/23/91)

In article <16242@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:

   In article <1991May22.212051.29589@decuac.dec.com> mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
   >rockwell@socrates.umd.edu (Raul Rockwell) writes:
   >>"It doesn't matter how smart the program is, a dumb user will always
   >> find a way to screw it up."  -- Joanne Byrd
   >	If you write software that even an idiot can use, only idiots
   >will use it.

   All generalizations are false.

Including yours? ..... :-)

		Jim

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (05/24/91)

}In article <16242@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
}
}   In article <1991May22.212051.29589@decuac.dec.com> mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
}   >rockwell@socrates.umd.edu (Raul Rockwell) writes:
}   >>"It doesn't matter how smart the program is, a dumb user will always
}   >> find a way to screw it up."  -- Joanne Byrd
}   >	If you write software that even an idiot can use, only idiots
}   >will use it.

  Ah. I always wondered why MACs were so popular. ;-)

---------
                                   ###             ##
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #

malcolmc@spider.co.uk (Malcolm Campbell) (05/24/91)

In article <JIM.91May23133116@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:

      All generalizations are false.

   Including yours? ..... :-)

All falsehoods are true, even this one :-)

  Malcolm Campbell                          |   Spider Systems Limited
- malcolmc@spider.co.uk   +44 31 554 9424   |   Edinburgh, EH6 5NG, Scotland