[comp.unix.wizards] Limiting Telnet Access

hutch@ssmct62.ssc.af.mil (Capt E. Lee Hutchins) (06/04/91)

We have a 3B2 running Wollongon TCP/IP.  We need to limit telnet access
for some users, but NOT through disabling their accounts.

	I know that there is a ftp.users file for tfp.  Is there something
like that for telnet??

			thanx
				lee

			Capt E. Lee Hutchins

USPost Office: HQ SSC/SSMCT          ||   Voice: AV 596-4555/4171
	       Gunter AFB, AL 36114  ||          COM: (205) 279-4555/4171
email: hutch@ssmct62.ssc.af.mil      ||   FAX:   AV: 596-3262
		       		     ||	 	 COM: (205) 279-3262

     The views related here do not in any way represent the USAF or USGOV or
GUNTER AFB, SSMCT or anyone else for that matter!

Go AIR FORCE BEAT Army, Navy or whoever else the FALCONS are playing this week!

		UNIX and X-Windows: the ONLY solution for REAL men

jscott@isis.cs.du.edu (James Scott) (06/05/91)

In article <27103@adm.brl.mil> you write:
=> We have a 3B2 running Wollongon TCP/IP.  We need to limit telnet access
=> for some users, but NOT through disabling their accounts.

I thought we were the only one with problems with that setup
(I thought we were the only ones that still _Had_ that setup)

Anyway, this is our solution:
1.) Make a group called 'telnet'.
2.) chgrp telnet /usr/bin/telnet .
3.) chmod o=,gu=rx /usr/bin/telnet .
4.) Edit your /etc/group file, adding the login names of users who
	can use telnet into the last field seperated by commas.
5.) For someone to use telnet, they must first type the command

	$ newgrp telnet
and _then_
	$ telnet

NOTE: the newgrp command CAN NOT be used in a shell script.
This worked quite well for us until our kernel bit the dust... Ever
tried to mix UNIX versions on a 3B2?  Anyway, I asked this same question
over the net a couple months ago, and the answers I received follow.
_PLEASE_ let me know how you solve your problem...

James Scott                                 /* jscott@gwhs.colorado.edu */
George Washington H.S., Denver		             jscott@isis.cs.du.edu
							 gwhs@teal.csn.org

zfgo01@hgo7.hou.amoco.com (F. G. Oakes) (06/06/91)

hutch@ssmct62.ssc.af.mil (Capt E. Lee Hutchins) writes:

>We have a 3B2 running Wollongon TCP/IP.  We need to limit telnet access
>for some users, but NOT through disabling their accounts.

>	I know that there is a ftp.users file for tfp.  Is there something
>like that for telnet??

Two ways come to mind:
1) change the permissions on the TELNET executable so that it is restricted to
	group(s) <three of them if you include 'other'>; and
2) 'front-end' it (TELNET) with an executable that checks whatever you want
	to before executing it, if your front-end determines it is OK.
zfgo01@hgo7.hou.amoco.com (Glen Oakes)

woodcock@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Sterling Woodcock) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.230509.3655@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> jscott@isis.UUCP (James Scott) writes:
>Anyway, this is our solution:
>1.) Make a group called 'telnet'.
>2.) chgrp telnet /usr/bin/telnet .
>3.) chmod o=,gu=rx /usr/bin/telnet .
>4.) Edit your /etc/group file, adding the login names of users who
>	can use telnet into the last field seperated by commas.
>5.) For someone to use telnet, they must first type the command
>
>	$ newgrp telnet
>and _then_
>	$ telnet
>
>NOTE: the newgrp command CAN NOT be used in a shell script.

I don't think this solves the problem.  Anyone with a little knowledge of
programming... hell, even with a little knowledge of ftp... can use their
own copy of telnet or some other client to interface to the net.  Sure, it
may slow down some people at first, but once word gets out that so-and-so
has their own telnet program, you'll be right back to the same situation.

My advice:  If you want to restrict TCP/IP, remove your machine from the
network.  Restricting net access to the users is not a very sensible thing,
usually, or a nice one.  If you *do* want to restrict it, do some kernel
hacking.  I know of several universities that have restricted the network
system calls in this way.

Bruce

--
|    woodcock@mentor.cc.purdue.edu    | "That's Bruce for ya, always jumping |
|       sirbruce@gnu.ai.mit.edu       |    on the bandwagon, even if it's    |

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/07/91)

What is to stop somebody from entering the code to BSD telnet
and running it on their machine?  Telnet client needs no root
privileges.  "Can't be done" is the only real answer to this
question.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun4.230509.3655@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> jscott@isis.UUCP (James Scott) writes:

>Anyway, this is our solution:
>1.) Make a group called 'telnet'.
>2.) chgrp telnet /usr/bin/telnet .
>3.) chmod o=,gu=rx /usr/bin/telnet .
>4.) Edit your /etc/group file, adding the login names of users who
>	can use telnet into the last field seperated by commas.
>5.) For someone to use telnet, they must first type the command

Oh please. Didn't you ever think that people could *ftp* the telnet source,
then compile it and run telnet themselves?

	-Kartik

--
internet# adb -w -k /vmunix /dev/kmem < /dev/zero

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU -| Internet
kartik@silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)
SUBBARAO@PUCC.BITNET			          - Bitnet

EMTEXLEY@MTUS5.BITNET (06/14/91)

Limiting Access and You....

You can directly modify user states by changing their personal settings...

Wizardy enough, no?

The CUbe