[comp.sources.wanted] Wanted: unix tty server that will act as a printer for a PC

michael@orcisi.UUCP (11/25/86)

Scenario:

A COM port on an IBM PC is connected to a serial line on a Unix
machine.  On the PC, I copy/print a file to the COM port.  The tty
server on the unix machine receives the file and spools it to a laser
printer attached to the unix machine.  Assume that only simple ascii
files are to be printed and transmitted.

The only problem I can forsee is how will the tty server detect the end
of the file?

Has anyone ever tried this?

Michael Herman
Optical Recording Corporation
141 John Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada  M5V 2E4

UUCP:  utcsri!oscvax!orcisi!michael
CSNET: michael%orcisi.UUCP%omnitor.ARPA@csnet-relay.CSNET
ARPA:  michael%orcisi.UUCP%omnitor.ARPA@csnet-relay.ARPA

ALSO:  mwherman@watcgl.waterloo.edu

campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (11/26/86)

In article <549@orcisi.UUCP> michael@orcisi.UUCP writes:

>A COM port on an IBM PC is connected to a serial line on a Unix
>machine.  On the PC, I copy/print a file to the COM port.  The tty
>server on the unix machine receives the file and spools it to a laser
>printer attached to the unix machine.  Assume that only simple ascii
>files are to be printed and transmitted.
>
>The only problem I can forsee is how will the tty server detect the end
>of the file?

Why not just run a KERMIT server on the UNIX tty line and use KERMIT
on the PC to send the file?  Not only does this solve the end of file
problem, it also guarantees correct transmission of the file.
--
Larry Campbell       MCI: LCAMPBELL          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
UUCP: {alliant,wjh12}!maynard!campbell      120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (11/30/86)

In article <549@orcisi.UUCP>, michael@orcisi.UUCP writes:
>A COM port on an IBM PC is connected to a serial line on a Unix
>machine.  On the PC, I copy/print a file to the COM port.  The tty
>server on the unix machine receives the file and spools it to a laser
>printer attached to the unix machine.  Assume that only simple ascii
>files are to be printed and transmitted.
>
>The only problem I can forsee is how will the tty server detect the end
>of the file?
>
>Has anyone ever tried this?
>
>Michael Herman

Why not add a line to the file you are sending through the COM port?  You
can do this with a batch file rather that modifying the file.  Use a batch
file like the following:

	copy %1 COM1
	echo ^D > COM1

It would send an extra newline to the port, but that should not present any
severe problems.
--
Tom Reingold -- Rockefeller Univ, 1230 York Av, NY 10021; (212) 570-7709
UUCP:       {seismo|philabs|phri|harvard|ihnp4}!cmcl2!rna!rocky2!reintom

cforeman@dasys1.UUCP (Charles F. Foreman) (12/02/86)

In article <549@orcisi.UUCP>, michael@orcisi.UUCP writes:
> Scenario:
>
> A COM port on an IBM PC is connected to a serial line on a Unix
> machine.  On the PC, I copy/print a file to the COM port.  The tty
> server on the unix machine receives the file and spools it to a laser
> printer attached to the unix machine.  Assume that only simple ascii
> files are to be printed and transmitted.
>
> The only problem I can forsee is how will the tty server detect the end
> of the file?
>
> Has anyone ever tried this?
>

> Michael Herman
> Optical Recording Corporation
> 141 John Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada  M5V 2E4
>
> UUCP:  utcsri!oscvax!orcisi!michael
> CSNET: michael%orcisi.UUCP%omnitor.ARPA@csnet-relay.CSNET
> ARPA:  michael%orcisi.UUCP%omnitor.ARPA@csnet-relay.ARPA
>
> ALSO:  mwherman@watcgl.waterloo.edu

I am currently faced with a very similar (in fact, identical) situation.
We are purchasing a Sperry IT, and plan to redirect all printer output to
a serial port on our UNIX system. I dealt with this problem by writing
a simple daemon which watches the serial port for data and writes it
to a temporary file. A second program (called "unspool") sends a signal
to the daemon which causes it to close the output file and pipe it into
the printer spooler (or deletes it without printing if desired).

Of course, using this type of arrangement you would have to go over to
the UNIX system and type "unspool" after each printing. Alternatively,
you could insert a special character at the end of everything sent from
the PC, which would be caught and interpreted as the end of file.

----------------------------
|     \/    \/   New York  |------------------------
|     ||\   ||     Mets    |   Charles F. Foreman  |
|     || \  ||             |   Datamerica Systems  |
|    -|-  \ -|-     N      |   101 Fifth Avenue    |
|   / ||\  /|| \     Y     |   New York, NY 10003  |
|     /\ \/ /\             |                       |
|        ||        1986    |  phri!dasys1!cforeman |
|        /\    World Champs|------------------------
----------------------------

tj@utcs.UUCP (12/10/86)

There are a number of solutions to this. Novell networking software (and for
that matter almost any netware) must catch printer output and send it
to the network printer.

Their approach has two schemes. One is that every time you exit an application
program in DOS you close the printer port file. The other is that after N
seconds of inactivity on the printer port it is reopened and closed. This
latter scheme could actually be done quite easily on unix side if you wanted.

By far the better approach is to actually network the IBM PC to unix
using something like 3 Com or Tops (not sure if either of these have
this software quite ready yet) and use unix as a file or print server.
I have seen the tops working between apple Mac and IBM PC and it is
impressive. (sit on the mac and do a dir of the pc hard drive, grab
a file from the pc and print it on the laserWriter on appletalk... it puts
the pc on appletalk, really well too...)

good luck.