[comp.sources.wanted] UNIX Zork -- info granted

rob@cwruecmp.UUCP (Rob Garfolo) (12/14/86)

In article <580@tcdmath.UUCP> hugh@tcdmath.UUCP (Hugh Grant) writes:

>I asked this question some time ago, but no-one had anything to say
>except "me too!", so I'll ask it again, and maybe some kind person out
>there will take pity on me...
>
>	Does anyone have the sources for UNIX Zork, or know
>	where they may be obtained.  If they are not public-domain,
>	then could someone tell me. I'd prefer it if I could just mail
>	a tape (with return postage) to somebody. If anyone can help,
>	would they e-mail me?
>
>Please PLEASE *PLEASE* reply...
>		(... while I'm still sane enough to act on any advice :-)
>
>Thanks (in anticipation),
>--
>				Hugh Grant

Some info on Unix zork, someone out there correct me if I'm wrong (I'm
working from memory here, and well, it's finals week):

the zork that comes with the bsd distribution, is a pdp-11 (probably
rsx-11(m)) image that is loaded onto the vax using pdp-11 compatiblity
mode.  /usr/games/lib/compat helps with this.  /usr/games/zork calls
compat and /usr/games/lib/dungeon (the pdp-11 image).  and presto, they
run.

this means:  they first of all won't run on non-vax/pdp-11 machines.
and probably won't run on vaxen running system III/V.

there are also probably copyright problems with the regents of UC and maybe
at&t.

so, you lose---but wait decus, the dec user group, offers dungeon (zork)
in it's source form (at least i think).  it's written at mit in MDL (muddle)
and then tranlated into fortran (probably IV).  it was originally called zork
and the decus, version was called dungeon (whenever you type "zork" in the
decus version it responds with "that will henceforth be known as dungeon).
so with a little bit of work you might be able to get that to run.

the first thing i ever did on a unix system was play zork...

like i said correct me if i'm wrong.

love and kisses
rob