[comp.sources.wanted] ditroff postprocessor for Xerox 2700 & 3700

jmr@motown.UUCP (01/14/87)

In article <1283@ncc.UUCP>, lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> in article <2819@osu-eddie.UUCP>, dlee@osu-eddie.UUCP (Dik Lun Lee) says:
> >                               Our next problem is to find a
> > post processor for ditroff to drive our Xerox 2700 laser printer.
> > Post processors for driving the HP LaserJet and Apple LaserWriter
> > can be obtained easily, but I didn't hear anything about one for
> > Xerox 2700. I heard that the 2700 is a very difficult thing to
> > drive. Any information would be appreciated.
>
> We went through the same process with a 3700. As far as we could find out,
> it's pretty well "roll your own" (we have since dumped the 3700 in
> favour of a faster (cheaper) PostScript engine). Someone here said
> something about Adobe Systems offering PostScript for the 2700 (saw it
> at Comdex?). If this is the case, your problems may be solved.

I have had a Xerox 3700 printer for over a year now and have been
fairly pleased with its performance. Our Xerox salesman (of all
people!) pointed me to a company called VLS in Fremont CA which
supplies postprocessors (a la "x9700") that for both the 2700 and
3700. It runs on System V and BSD.

The program (called ProSet) comes with the Times and Hershey font
families. It supports troff, tbl, eqn, and pic. I've used them all and
have been very pleased with the results. Through use of their
"extended" algorithm, they can even get more than the Xerox limitation
of 16 different fonts on a page.

WORD OF WARNING: They claim you can integrate Xerox-supplied fonts
into their system, but the Xerox fonts MUST BE on the computer:
Needless to say, I have 5 million diskettes for the 3700 printer I'm
still trying to figure out how to use!

There support group, although small, has been exceptionally helpful
with the few minor bugs I've found. A certain rarity today!

I am not affiliated with VLS in any way, except that I'm an end user
of one of their products.

Company is:	VLS, Inc.
		44000 Old Warm Springs Blvd.
		Fremont CA  94538
		(415) 490-3555
"I enjoy working with human beings, and                         John M. Ritter
have stimulating relationships with them."                  Allied-Signal Inc.
                            - HAL 9000                Corporate Tax Department
                      {bellcore,harpo,ihnp4,infopro,princeton,sys1}!motown!jmr