[comp.sources.wanted] Compiler/Interpreter/Simulator for ISPS

ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) (01/22/87)

If anyone has, or knows of, a compiler/simulator for the "Instruction Set
Processor Specifications" (ISPS) described in "The Design and Analysis of
Instruction Set Processors" by Mario R. Barbacci and Daniel P. Siewiorek,
I would appreciate hearing from you.  It would be nice if it was written
in C and ran under BSD UNIX, but I won't be too particular.
Thanks in advance.

--Daniel Ehrlich
UUCP:     {burdvax,cbosgd,cmcl2,pitt,ihnp4}!psuvax1!ehrlich
CSNET:    ehrlich@penn-state.csnet  USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich@psuvax1.psu.edu         Department of Computer Science
BITNET:   ehrlich@psuvax1.bitnet          333 Whitmore Laboratory
BELL:     +1 814 863 1142                 University Park, PA   16802
Quote: "The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing."  Judge Harold T. Stone
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect the
            opinions, or policies, of The Pennsylvania State University or the
            Department of Computer Science.

perry@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Rick Perry) (01/22/87)

In article <2397@psuvax1.UUCP> ehrlich@psuvax1.UUCP (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>If anyone has, or knows of, a compiler/simulator for the "Instruction Set
>Processor Specifications" (ISPS) described in "The Design and Analysis of
>Instruction Set Processors" by Mario R. Barbacci and Daniel P. Siewiorek,
>I would appreciate hearing from you.  It would be nice if it was written
>in C and ran under BSD UNIX, but I won't be too particular.

We have isps here, elh@vu-vlsi (Ed Hepler) knows more about it than
I do.  It's running on our Pyramid 90x Unix machine in ucb universe.
From a README file that came with it:

---
| This directory contains three subdirectories containing all of the neccesary
| sources for a complete isps package in c.  the directory ispc contains the
| isps parser.  gdbrtm contains the gdb to rtm compiler.  isps contains the
| simulator.  This documentation will restrict itself to aspects of the
| environment needed to get the simulator up and running.

| All problems and bugs should be reported to :
|
|   woody@128.2.251.1  (woody@cmu-ee-ampere)
|
| Physical mail can be sent to Dr. Robert Wedig care of Electrical and Computer
| Engineering Dept. at Carnegie-Mellon University. or
|
| Bob Woodburn
| 144 Claremont Dr.
| Lower Burrell, PA  15068
| USA
|
| No responsibility is assumed for any of these programs.  The entire isps
| package is still under reconstruction.  However, any help received in
| locating bugs and so forth will probably lead to participants receiving
| updated versions of the code.
|
| Thanks...                        woody...
---

But Ed says that he hasn't been able to reach woody via email...

...Rick

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (01/29/87)

> If anyone has, or knows of, a compiler/simulator for the "Instruction Set
> Processor Specifications" (ISPS) described in "The Design and Analysis of
> Instruction Set Processors" by Mario R. Barbacci and Daniel P. Siewiorek,
> I would appreciate hearing from you.  It would be nice if it was written
> in C and ran under BSD UNIX, but I won't be too particular.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Daniel Ehrlich

About 3 1/2 years ago I was working with such a system at GE in Philadelphia.
The compiler was actually a 2 parter, a parser/lexer that produced a parse
tree in a LISPish notation, and then a translator that turned the LISPish
code into VAX Macro Assembly language.  Both of these parts were written
at Carnegie-Mellon, I believe.  I don't recall what GE did to get them.
Anyway, I think part or all of these sections were written in VAX PASCAL
(this is VAX/VMS, buy the way, unfortunately).  Along with the VAX Macro
code, there were quite a few run-time modules to link in, which constituted
the main simulator.  These were all written in BLISS, and I believe that
they came from CMU as well.  Finally, we had a local front-end to the
simulator, which started out in Fortran.  I rewrote this in Pascal, as
the VAX/VMS Fortran compiler is kind of brain-damaged in its allocation of
machine registers, and our local code ended up tromping over a few vital
BLISS variables until it was rewritten in Pascal.  Anyway, it sounds like
the best thing you could do would be to contact the CMU Computer Science
department (who might even be around here on the net; imagine that).  I
wouldn't imagine much success getting through to anyone at GE.

Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

     "You can keep my things, they've come to take me home"
						-Peter Gabriel