[comp.sources.wanted] word_star to multimate file conversion

hilmes@utx1.UUCP (02/02/87)

Help. My girlfriend needs to convert some word_star files to multimate
format without losing the formats, tabs, etc.  This is a one time only
conversion.  If anyone has a program to share or knows of a cheap method,
it would be greatly appreciated.  You can reach  by posting to the
newsgoups above, mail, or the US mail address below. Thanks.

        Doug Hilmes              (305) 476-6738
	Racal-Milgo
        1601 N. Harrison Pkwy
        MS E115
	Fort Lauderdale, FL 33323

csaron@opal.berkeley.edu.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <37@utx1.UUCP> hilmes@utx1.UUCP (Douglas Hilmes) writes:
>Help. My girlfriend needs to convert some word_star files to multimate
>format without losing the formats, tabs, etc.  This is a one time only
>conversion.  If anyone has a program to share or knows of a cheap method,
>it would be greatly appreciated.

The MultiMate or MM Advantage package itself may include such a
conversion utility; perhaps another comp.sys.ibm.pc reader knows
whether this is the case.

There is a shareware utility that converts files between various
word processor file formats.  It's called XWORD, and version 2.22
claims to convert files in almost all of the possible directions
between WordStar, WordStar 2000, Sidekick, Xywrite, WordPerfect,
Multimate, and ASCII.  The author indicates that, when converting
from WordStar to Multimate, it is important to be careful of indents
(tabs? indented margins? ^OG?) and to make sure they come after only
hard returns or ^PM codes.

Apparently, most of the print formatting is preserved when the files
are converted using XWORD, but this is always somewhat of an inexact art,
even with the slick commercial programs in this genre.

This utility (in whatever version is now current) should be available
on most of the major information utilities (e.g. CompuServe, GEnie,
Delphi, The Source) and enlightened BBSs.

The author asks $20 if you use and like the program.  His name, and
the address listed in the version 2.22 documentation, is:

               Ronald Gans
               350 West 55th Street
               New York, NY 10079
               (212) 957-8361
               CompuServe:  74216,264

I've used the program just once, to convert a WordStar file to ASCII
as part of an informal test of a set of such limited-purpose utilities.
It worked well (no surprise there) but also extremely rapidly--
much faster than other "un-WordStar" programs we tried on that occasion.
I haven't tried the particular conversion you are seeking, and have
no idea how well it might work.

One alternative to using a program of this type is for your girlfriend
to have the files converted by a commercial disk/file format conversion
service--particularly since you suggest that the conversion will be
needed on a one-time-only basis.  Check the classified ads in the back
of publications like PC Magazine and InfoWorld for listings of such
services.  This may not be an inexpensive solution, however.

   Aron Roberts
   Tolman Microcomputer Facility     University of California
   1535 Tolman Hall                  Berkeley, CA 94720

   csaron@opal.Berkeley.Edu	     (415) 642-2251

   Usual disclaimers apply to protect UCB from harm.
   "And you were in the parking lot, subterranean, by your
    own design ..."