[comp.sources.wanted] WANTED: ARPANET ftp file transfer program for the Macintosh

kevink@utcsstat.UUCP (02/13/87)

I am looking for a public domain program for the Macintosh that will
do file transfer to/from a UNIX 4.2BSD site according to the ARPANET
standard File Transfer Protocol.  My  present requirements are for
file transfer via telephone modem.  Future (and so presently optional)
requirements would include file transfer via Ethernet-AppleTalk.

My department is phasing in a SUN-3 Network and phasing out the old
PDP 11/70.  This means old software such as Kermit is being phased out.
So it's good-bye Kermie. :-(

Kevin J. Keen
Dept. of Statistics
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario.
Canada M5P 3H3

e-mail:    {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcs!utcsstat!kevink
            or kevink@utcsstat (if your mailer does auto-routing)

zben@umd5.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <1987Feb13.073633.17144@utcsstat.uucp> kevink@utcsstat.UUCP writes:

> I am looking for a public domain program for the Macintosh that will
> do file transfer to/from a UNIX 4.2BSD site according to the ARPANET
> standard File Transfer Protocol.  My  present requirements are for
> file transfer via telephone modem.  Future (and so presently optional)
> requirements would include file transfer via Ethernet-AppleTalk.

Seems a bit of a non-sequitur.  Internet (ARPANET) FTP is built on TCP
and IP protocols.  I do believe there are some serial-line IP experiments
going on, but the field is far from settled.  We are using Kinetics KFPS
to connect Appletalk to Ethernet.

> My department is phasing in a SUN-3 Network and phasing out the old
> PDP 11/70.  This means old software such as Kermit is being phased out.
> So it's good-bye Kermie. :-(

I don't understand why...  There is a fairly robust C Kermit that should be
eminently portable to Sun (I can't imagine it hasn't been done yet).  For
your serial connection via telephone modem Kermit seems just the solution.
Of course, Ethernet-KFPS-Appletalk is a *lot* faster...
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!mimsy,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland UniSys 1100/92