[comp.sources.wanted] Wanted: latest version of game MORIA for VMS

gr65@sdcc12.UUCP (02/15/87)

   Three years ago, members of my group got hooked on the rogue-like
game MORIA on a VAX/VMS 11/750.  Now that we haved moved to our own
MicroVAX II/VMS 4.4, I would like to obtain the latest version of
this game.  Does anybody know the origin/distributor/status/whereabouts
of code for this game?  Thanks for any leads...

Steve Piper
gr65%sdcc12@SDCSVAX.ARPA

markv@uoregon.UUCP (02/16/87)

>   Three years ago, members of my group got hooked on the rogue-like
>game MORIA on a VAX/VMS 11/750.  Now that we haved moved to our own
>MicroVAX II/VMS 4.4, I would like to obtain the latest version of
>this game.  Does anybody know the origin/distributor/status/whereabouts
>of code for this game?  Thanks for any leads...

Has any work been done to convert this game to Unix?  If not, I would
like to know if the source (Pascal I understand) is available.  I would
like to examine it for a possible port to C/Unix.

--
Mark VandeWettering
University of Oregon Computer and Information Sciences Department

mende@aramis.UUCP (02/16/87)

>   Three years ago, members of my group got hooked on the rogue-like
>game MORIA on a VAX/VMS 11/750.  Now that we haved moved to our own
>MicroVAX II/VMS 4.4, I would like to obtain the latest version of
>this game.  Does anybody know the origin/distributor/status/whereabouts

   At Rutgers we have a copy of version 4.5 of moria.  If this is the
newest version of moria then we have it... if it is not ... please let
me know where a newer version.
   The sources are written in Vax Pascal and any port to unix(tm)
would be a *major* undertaking.

				Bob
--
      {Both Reality and this message are figments of my imagination}
ARPA: mende@rutgers.edu     	    BITNET: mende@zodiac.bitnet

mikec@uokmax.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <275@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU> mende@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Mende) writes:
>>   Three years ago, members of my group got hooked on the rogue-like
>>game MORIA on a VAX/VMS 11/750.  Now that we haved moved to our own
>>MicroVAX II/VMS 4.4, I would like to obtain the latest version of
>>this game.  Does anybody know the origin/distributor/status/whereabouts
>
>   At Rutgers we have a copy of version 4.5 of moria.  If this is the
>newest version of moria then we have it... if it is not ... please let
>me know where a newer version.
>   The sources are written in Vax Pascal and any port to unix(tm)
>would be a *major* undertaking.

I believe the current version of moria is up to 4.9.  This version only
has bug fixes and minor enhancements (and of course it is harder to win).
The game originated at the University of Oklahoma - University Computing
Services.  It is still being enhanced here.  The author, Robert Koenoke,
has gone to work at an airline company, but plans to port a version to the
PC.

I personally have been working on changing the ~22000 lines of VMS (very
non standard) pascal into C, but only have about ~7000 lines done....
Maybe one of these years it will work under Unix (it would be nice not
to have to log into their machine to play it).  I will forward mail to the
people at University Computing Services (they are not on Net)...

				Mike Callahan
				University of Oklahoma
				Engineering Computer Network
				mikec@uokmax