[comp.sources.wanted] Halftone Display for Sun 2

milo@ndmath.UUCP (02/16/87)

Would anybody out there happen to have a program that displays shaded halftone
output on a Sun-2 workstation display?  My data file is of the following format
1. A single line of text specifying resolution (ie: 420,320) followed by a
   newline.
2. All the bytes of the image, in row order.  8 bits (256 grey levels) per
   pixel.

I would like a program that would generate a halftone from this image and
display it on a Sun-2 monochrome display (1 bit).  The quality of the image is
not important...I need it to preview images before spending all the time to
send them to a postscript printer for high quality output.

Thanks
Greg Corson
...seismo!iuvax!ndmath!milo

majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (02/17/87)

I've got just the thing for you.  It's called sunview, and I'll post
it to net.sources.  It was written to run under a "gfx" window
in suntools on a sun 3, but I think it will work on a sun 2 as well.
It reads a local image file format, which is a file with a header
containing number of row and cols, then the data in row major order.
You shouldn't have much trouble converting to you own format. It
does halftoning using a "modulation" technique.

---
Marc Majka  -  UBC Laboratory for Computational Vision

kwok@calgary.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <186@ndmath.UUCP>, milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
> Would anybody out there happen to have a program that displays shaded halftone
> output on a Sun-2 workstation display?  My data file is of the following format
> 1. A single line of text specifying resolution (ie: 420,320) followed by a
>    newline.
> 2. All the bytes of the image, in row order.  8 bits (256 grey levels) per
>    pixel.
>
> I would like a program that would generate a halftone from this image and
> display it on a Sun-2 monochrome display (1 bit).  The quality of the image is
> not important...I need it to preview images before spending all the time to
> send them to a postscript printer for high quality output.

We have developed an algorithm for magnifying/reducing greyscale images
and display/print them in halftone, at any size that you desire.  The
current implementation is on an Apollo 3000.  The conversion time is
typically 3 minutes from an original at 256x256x8 to a target at 1280x1024x1.

Regards

Paul Kwok, Univ of Calgary

ph (403)220-3531