[comp.sources.wanted] Wanted: C version of empire.

shovic@ui3.UUCP (03/26/87)

Does someone have the C source version of Empire???  If so would you
please e-mail it to me.  I am not on net.sources.games.

Thanx in advance.

John Shovic
egg-id!ui3!shovic

vic@bobkat.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <600004@ui3.UUCP> shovic@ui3.UUCP (John C. Shovic) writes:
>Does someone have the C source version of Empire???  If so would you
>please e-mail it to me.  I am not on net.sources.games.
>
>Thanx in advance.
>

>John Shovic
>egg-id!ui3!shovic

I would like a (BSD) version also!!

            ADVthanksANCE Vic Sohal

(ctvax!bobkat!vic)

dan@leadsv.UUCP (04/02/87)

In article <821@bobkat.UUCP>, vic@bobkat.UUCP (Vic Sohal) writes:
> In article <600004@ui3.UUCP> shovic@ui3.UUCP (John C. Shovic) writes:
> >Does someone have the C source version of Empire???  If so would you
> >please e-mail it to me.  I am not on net.sources.games.
> >
> >Thanx in advance.
> >

> >John Shovic
> >egg-id!ui3!shovic
>
> I would like a (BSD) version also!!
>
>             ADVthanksANCE Vic Sohal

Time to spread the good word(s) again...

WHICH version of empire?  If you want the single-player version it was
posted to the net several months ago.  Check your archives.  If you want a
copy of the Peter Langston multi-player version Tom Fisher (...ihnp4!druxn!tsf)
or I will be happy to give you a copy with the following provisions:

1. You send either of us e-mail asking for a copy.  Please don't post to us
   here.  You can get the additional information as to where to send the
   tape when you mail either of us.

2. Requests can/will ONLY be filled for those providing magnetic tapes
   (or floppy disks if you have no better alternative).  Sorry, NO e-mail
   (UUCP, ARPA, BITNET, ...) as it is too big.

It should be mentioned that this multi-player version does not include
all the new features that people have mentioned in {rec||net}.games.empire,
like nukes, tanks, APCs, trenches, and other stuff.  If you are an
empire purist who likes the game in its original form (prior the new
features just mentioned) this is what you have been looking for.

Dan Gold
Lockheed Missiles & Space Company, Inc.

UUCP: ...!{atlas1, cae780, cfcl, endotsew, esl,
          excelan, hhb, hoptoad, krent, lll-lcc,
          mycroft, rtgvax, scampi, sunncal, tdms2}!leadsv!dan

INTERNET: ucdavis!lll-lcc!leadsv!dan@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

paul@devon.UUCP (04/05/87)

In article <1422@leadsv.UUCP> dan@leadsv.UUCP (Dan Gold) writes:
> In article <821@bobkat.UUCP>, vic@bobkat.UUCP (Vic Sohal) writes:
> > In article <600004@ui3.UUCP> shovic@ui3.UUCP (John C. Shovic) writes:
> > >Does someone have the C source version of Empire???  If so would you
> > >please e-mail it to me.  I am not on net.sources.games.
> > >
> > >Thanx in advance.
> >
> > I would like a (BSD) version also!!
>
> Time to spread the good word(s) again...

[ Dan goes on to tell how to e-mail him to get uucp via diskettes or tape. ]

I am posting this here (and cross-posting to rec.games.empire) as it
appears that not everyone saw my original posting in net.sources.games.
I apologize for those net.land.people who have already seen this.

What follows is the article I posted about 2 weeks ago.

Please note that in the period of time since my first posting, more
than 50 sites have snarfed these sources.  Several people sent e-mail
to me saying they were successful in compiling empire on their <insert
system model here> after slight tweeking of the Makefiles.  This
includes both BSD and ATT Un*x sites (as I recall).

I have directed followups to net.sources.games as that is one of the
newsgroups that I most frequently read.

- paul

=== BEGIN ================= net/sources/games/201 =============================

[ No, this article does not contain Empire sources.  Sorry.
  It does, however, tell you how you can *get* them via uucp! ]

Back in early February, several people requested the source code to
Empire.  I responded to each of them saying that I had Empire sources,
but that I would NOT mail them.  Also, I will not post them because of
their size--550K+ including the Empire_Manual which is 104K by itself.

What I *will* do (and have done) is make them available via anonymous
uucp from my site.  The sources are contained in 9 shar files.  These
files have been compressed with the popular "compress" program using
its 12-bit option.

Here's what we're talking about.  Someone had mentioned that they had a
part Fortran, part C version.  This version is completely written in C.
However, I don't know if it will compile cleanly.  I have never
attempted to compile Empire here (who has time for games?).

The vers.c files says:

    Version 1.1 Old Empire
    Oct 1985
    (decompiled 1983 from PDP 11/70 object)

An "ls -l" of the files:

    total 523
    -rw-r--r--   1 empire   uucp       34688 Mar 22 10:22 Part01.Z
    -rw-r--r--   1 empire   uucp       27878 Mar 22 10:17 Part02.Z
    -rw-r--r--   1 empire   uucp       35225 Mar 22 10:16 Part03.Z
    -rw-r--r--   1 empire   uucp       30386 Mar 22 10:16 Part04.Z
    -rw-r--r--   1 empire   uucp       25580 Mar 22 10:16 Part05.Z
    -rw-r--r--   1 empire   uucp       27718 Mar 22 10:15 Part06.Z
    -rw-r--r--   1 empire   uucp        9518 Mar 22 10:15 Part07.Z
    -rw-r--r--   1 empire   uucp       51911 Mar 22 10:15 Part08.Z
    -rw-r--r--   1 empire   uucp       18329 Mar 22 10:15 Part09.Z

To obtain these files, you must first place an entry similar to the
one below into your L.sys (or Systems under HoneyDanBer) file:

empire Any ACU <baudrate> 1-215-398-7543 ogin:-BREAK-ogin:-BREAK-ogin: empire word: anonymous

where <baudrate> is any of 300, 1200 or 2400.

Then issue the appropriate uucp command to get them.  For example:

    uucp empire!~/Part01.Z /usr/spool/uucppublic

would retrieve the Part01.Z file into your uucppublic directory.  Note
that trying something like "empire!~/Part*" (or any other wildcard
combination) probably will *not* work.  To get all nine files will
require that you issue 9 different commands similar to the one above.

If you have any difficulties, contact me via e-mail (address in my
.signature below).

Happy UUCP'ing.

- paul

|  paul@devon.UUCP  - or -  {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!devon!paul  |