[comp.sources.wanted] Backup Utilities for Unix

david@ci-dandelion.UUCP (04/28/87)

I'm starting to look for any software that provides a superset of the
Berkeley-style dump(8) and restore(8) utilities.  Of course, it would be
great if we came across such a package at no cost, but we don't really
expect to find one with everything we want without having to pay for it.
If we find a product we like, we will seek to acquire a license to
distribute it with our Ultrix-based product which runs on a DEC Microvax II.
The users of our product are mechanical engineers who should not have to
learn about the many details of system management.

Here are some capabilities that would be nice:

	- Granularity smaller than a filesystem
	- At least ten incremental levels
	- Large written tape blocks for reasonable speed to a TK-50 tape
	- Easy, reliable recovery from read or write errors
	- Support for large archive files and multiple tape volumes
	- Maintenance of a database of the names of the files archived
	- A command shell usable by non-computer-oriented people,
		possibly using full-screen forms and curses routines
	- Source code availability

Please let me know if you have experience with any software package
to replace or augment dump and restore, or if your company offers one, or
if you are interested in information about one.  If the interest warrants it,
I'll post a summary of all responses I get.

		Thanks,
		-David Watson
		 Cognition, Inc.  (617) 667-4800
		 Billerica, MA

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) (04/28/87)

In article <1308@ci-dandelion.UUCP> david@ci-dandelion.UUCP (David Watson) writes:

>I'm starting to look for any software that provides a superset of the
>Berkeley-style dump(8) and restore(8) utilities.  Of course, it would be
	[ more detailed specs omitted ]
>Please let me know if you have experience with any software package
>to replace or augment dump and restore, or if your company offers one, or
>if you are interested in information about one.  If the interest warrants it,
>I'll post a summary of all responses I get.

Here's my vote that you post a summary.  I've only seen discussion of vanilla
tar and dump/restore (for 4bsd) and cpio, volcopy, and labelit (Sys V) on net
news.  And there's multivol and cousins from mod.sources.  Of commercial
offerings, I've only heard of Ubackup (Unitech, Inc) and Reel Utilities (COSI),
but have no idea how good/bad either is.  Both advertise in "Unix Review" and
such.

(OK, inews, here's extra lines to keep you happy)

Mike Khaw

--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (04/28/87)

In article <1308@ci-dandelion.UUCP>, David Watson (david@ci-dandelion.UUCP)
writes:

> I'm starting to look for any software that provides a superset of the
> Berkeley-style dump(8) and restore(8) utilities.  . . .

I would like to find something that is a *real* superset!  One feature
that would be invaluable is the ability to back up the filesystem while
the machine is loaded with users and running.  The present backup is
supposed to cause unspecified evil to occur if all users aren't off the
machine. . .

Particularly, I would like to find an incremental backup utility that
would lurk in the background and periodically, at user-specified times
(every hour, twice a day, whatever), back up files that have been
changed since the last run.  Since our VAX is small (an 11/750) and runs
unattended, it would need the ability to keep writing to the same tape
until the tape is filled, and then holler for help (preferably by mail,
or some such).  It would also need to be reasonable about its use of the
tape drive -- there must be some way to get it to give up the drive so
other things could be done, without at the same time requiring the
operator to mount a tape each time it wanted to run.

All of this was running on the Sigma 7 at Montana State University,
Bozeman, Montana, almost 20 years ago!  Surely, someone has done the
same kind of backup utility for the VAX!!!

					Steve Rice

new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver | cae780}!tektronix!videovax!stever

jules@zen.UUCP (Julian Perry) (05/01/87)

In article <1308@ci-dandelion.UUCP>
david@ci-dandelion.UUCP (David Watson) writes:
>Here are some capabilities that would be nice:
>
>	- Granularity smaller than a filesystem
>	- At least ten incremental levels
>	- Large written tape blocks for reasonable speed to a TK-50 tape
>	- Easy, reliable recovery from read or write errors
>	- Support for large archive files and multiple tape volumes
>	- Maintenance of a database of the names of the files archived
>	- A command shell usable by non-computer-oriented people,
>		possibly using full-screen forms and curses routines
>	- Source code availability

I have just started to rewrite our current backup system to be the "all
new super-duper do-it-all definitive backup (honestly)".

Features will include:

Table driven including:
  a)  List of available backup devices, for each device:
	  i)   The system the device is connected to
	  ii)  The path name of the device
	  iii) The capacity of the device
	  iv)  The command used to write data to the
	       device (optional)
	  v)   The command to rewind and unload the device
	       (optional)
  b)  List of which systems to backup on a network
  c)  What to backup and in what order

Each tape (or disc, or whatever)  will be in cpio format (but this could
be changed) and multiple copies can be made  simultaneously.  Every tape
is a complete cpio archive  (i.e.  you don't need to read the first tape
to get at what's on the  second  etc) and the first  file is an index of
what is on the tape.  [This we already have in our current system]

Features will not include  anything  user-friendly,  sorry!  Having said
that,  what  could  you  want  to  be  user-friendly?  Only  'qualified'
administrators  will  need  such  elaborate  backup  schemes,  and  they
wouldn't be seen dead using 'user-friendly' software anyway!  :-)

Any SENSIBLE suggestions and ideas on the subject would be appreciated.

By the way, this is NOT all  pie-in-the-sky  stuff,  much of it  already
works and I am committed to  finishing it soon.  Aside from that, I need
the damn thing yesterday!

Jules [the fully-backed up]

--
IN-REAL-LIFE:  Julian Perry
E-MAIL:        jules@zen.co.uk || ...!mcvax!ukc!zen.co.uk!jules

wcs@ho95e.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart) (05/02/87)

In article <4360@videovax.Tek.COM> stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
>In article <1308@ci-dandelion.UUCP>, David Watson (david@ci-dandelion.UUCP)
>> I'm starting to look for any software that provides a superset of the
>> Berkeley-style dump(8) and restore(8) utilities.  . . .
>that would be invaluable is the ability to back up the filesystem while
>the machine is loaded with users and running.  .....
>Particularly, I would like to find an incremental backup utility that
>would lurk in the background and periodically, at user-specified times
>(every hour, twice a day, whatever), back up files that have been
>changed since the last run.

Incremental backups have their risks - they don't notice if files have
been *removed*, and can get confused if links change.  But they're easy
to use with live systems, and are normally adequate when used with
weekly or biweekly full backups.  On System V, you don't have dump/restor
- a common approach is to use volcopy (a souped-up dd which can handle
multiple tapes for a single disk slice) for image copies, and do
incrementals with find/cpio.  ("ff" is a much faster find which reads
the ilist instead of recursively searching directories, but the effect
is the same.)  Here's a crude backup program:

	mv /etc/backuptimes/$i /etc/backuptimes/old$i
	date >/etc/backuptimes/$i
	find $i -newer /etc/backuptimes/old$i -print | \
		cpio -ocBv >/dev/rmt/0hn 2>>/etc/backuptimes/log$i
		###         ^^tape-drive, no-rewind

If you don't like cpio, use xargs tar $TAROPTIONS.
We have spare disk space, so we dedicate a disk slice to incrementals,
and copy the slice to (the same) tape during the day.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (05/04/87)

>Incremental backups have their risks - they don't notice if files have
>been *removed*, and can get confused if links change.  But they're easy
>to use with live systems, and are normally adequate when used with
>weekly or biweekly full backups.

Real incremental dumps - like those made with dump - *do* notice that
files have been removed or that links have changed.  This has been true
since the Sixth Edition (although there were bugs in the V6 dump/restor
that were fairly serious).  The serious bugs were fixed in V7, and
facilities for easier extraction of single files from a dump were added
in 4.2BSD restore (other facilities were there all along, but they were
clumsy to use).

>On System V, you don't have dump/restor - a common approach is to use
>volcopy (a souped-up dd which can handle multiple tapes for a single
>disk slice) for image copies, and do incrementals with find/cpio.

Why USG decided to drop dump/restor from System III (or maybe it was
still distributed with SysIII but discouraged), I'll never understand.
Extracting one file from a volcopy tape is near on impossible unless
there's a spare disk partition available; many sites don't have enough
free disk to allow that.  Especially with large disks and large
partitions, it's hardly economical to keep 150Mbytes (a typical largest
partition size) free all the time.

(It actually is possible to extract one file from a volcopy of a
filesystem, but in general it can take as many as four passes over all
of the tapes:  One to read the inode and the single indirect blocks, a
second to read double indirect blocks, a third to read triple indirect
blocks and a fourth to read the actual data.  Of course, for a small
file, fewer passes may suffice.)

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

jgp@moscom.UUCP (05/07/87)

There are at least two companies (Exabyte and Honeywell) offering tape
systems with > 2000 Mb storage per tape (using normal video tape).  How
will systems like these affect current backup practices?

	Since entire filesystems will fit on a single tape, doing
	full dumps instead of incrementals becomes more attractive.

	While dumps and tars will still need time to run (to traverse
	the filesystem) a dd image could be nice and quick.  Awkward
	to restore individual files from but nice protection against
	head crashes ("System pausing for 10 minutes for disk check-
	pointing, please stand by.").

	It is a lot less work to do the full dump, mkfs, full restore
	procedure to optimize disk performance with a single tape,
	especially if you want to have more than one copy of your
	full dump before you do the mkfs.  Of course more optimized
	disks allows for faster full dumps too.

Anybody else have any comments?  I'd be especially interested in
hearing from anybody who has actually used one of these systems.
The ads and glossies make them sound great but thats what ads and
glossies are for.
--
Jim Prescott	rochester!moscom!jgp

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) (05/11/87)

In article <4360@videovax.Tek.COM>, stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
> One feature
> that would be invaluable is the ability to back up the filesystem while
> the machine is loaded with users and running.

This is not generally workable.  Consider a filesystem with three
directories, A, B, and C.  After the hypothetical backup program
finishes looking through A, and is busy looking through B, some
user moves a file from C to A.	It will not be backed up.  You
can also work it the other direction, and get two copies of the
file.

I understand that some Burroughs operating system solves this by
putting its filesystems into "snapshot mode" for the duration of
the backup, where all files/directories to be backed up are treated
as copy-on-write.  Requires adequate free space...

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {seismo,rutgers,ames}!cit-vax!speck

In article <353@mtxinu.UUCP>, ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) writes:
> Why USG decided to drop dump/restor from System III (or maybe it was
> still distributed with SysIII but discouraged), I'll never understand.

It was probably too much work to make restor work on a dual-blocksize
filesystem such as that found in Sys V.  Restor believes that disk and
tape data both come in units of BSIZE.	Getting it to convert 512-byte
tape records to 1024-byte disk blocks (or vice versa - take your pick)
is a *pain*.

Dump's speed is limited by the small blocksize of System V filesystems.
Volcopy can read in large chunks.  On the other hand, dump doesn't
waste time copying free blocks like volcopy does.  With slow tape drives
(or UN52 controllers), dump wins; with fast tape drives, volcopy wins.

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {seismo,rutgers,ames}!cit-vax!speck

stever@videovax.UUCP (05/12/87)

In article <2653@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, Don Speck (alias
mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu) writes:

> In article <4360@videovax.Tek.COM>, stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
>> One feature
>> that would be invaluable is the ability to back up the filesystem while
>> the machine is loaded with users and running.

> This is not generally workable.  Consider a filesystem with three
> directories, A, B, and C.  After the hypothetical backup program
> finishes looking through A, and is busy looking through B, some
> user moves a file from C to A.  It will not be backed up.  You
> can also work it the other direction, and get two copies of the
> file.  . . .

But in fact, it is generally workable!  In the worst case, you get no
backup, which is just exactly what happens right now [ 8^( ].  In all
other cases, there is at least one backup [ 8^) ].  And unless the
file that was moved and missed being backed up is moved every hour on
the hour (or twice a day, or however frequent the backup is), it will
get caught the next time around.

The frustration I have with all this "modern," "friendly," "powerful"
software is that the backup system I have described was running on the
Scientific Data Systems (SDS) Sigma 7 (later Xerox Sigma 7, then
Honeywell Sigma 7, but that's another story. . .) that was installed
at Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana, in 1967!!!

In all the years I spent pounding on the Sigma 7 (1969 to 1975), the
most I ever lost was 2 hours of work (a crash occurred just as an
incremental backup tape was being mounted).  On a VAX which is brought
down for an hour each evening for incremental backups, a crash can
easily cost an entire day's work.

Perhaps by 1990 we'll be able to catch up to where we were in 1970???