[comp.sources.wanted] Needed - vi that can handle 132 columns

donnelly@mergvax.UUCP (Mark Donnelly) (05/14/87)

I am looking for a version of vi that can handle 132 columns. The one I
have under 4.1BSD can really only do 100 columns. If anyone has such an
animal I would greatly appreciate a copy.

			Thanks In Advance

			Mark Donnelly
			!ihnp4!motown!mergvax!donnelly

mhobson@potpourri.UUCP (Marshall Hobson) (05/17/87)

in article <148@mergvax.UUCP>, donnelly@mergvax.UUCP (Mark Donnelly) says:

> I am looking for a version of vi that can handle 132 columns. The one I
> have under 4.1BSD can really only do 100 columns. If anyone has such an
> animal I would greatly appreciate a copy.
>
> 			Thanks In Advance
>
> 			Mark Donnelly
> 			!ihnp4!motown!mergvax!donnelly

	    Have you considered Emacs instead ?

		I have and feel it's really easy, and fuctional to use!!!!!

		I use a public-domain version that works great, and is FREE!!!

	Send e-mail for more details.

    #####              Gould Computer Systems Division
      ###              in Sunny South Florida
#####   #####
#####    ####          ...mcnc!rti-sel!gould!potpourri!mhobson
#####   #####
      ###
    #####              The opinions expressed are my own.(Probably!)

dave@murphy.UUCP (Dave Cornutt ) (05/19/87)

In article <148@mergvax.UUCP>, donnelly@mergvax.UUCP (Mark Donnelly) writes:
> I am looking for a version of vi that can handle 132 columns. The one I
> have under 4.1BSD can really only do 100 columns. If anyone has such an
> animal I would greatly appreciate a copy.

I suspect that your problem isn't vi, it's your termcap entry.  We used to
have this problem here.  One day I got to checking around and I discovered
that we had a whole bunch of termcap entries for VT100-type terminals that
had %2 in the cursor capability instead of %d, meaning that curses could
only generate column numbers up to 99.  Check your termcap entry, and if
the cursor motion string has %2 for the column output, try changing it to
%d or %3.
---
"Country beats the hell out of me" -- Jerry Dale McFadden

Dave Cornutt, Gould Computer Systems, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
[Ignore header, mail to these addresses]
UUCP:  ...!{sun,pur-ee,brl-bmd,seismo,bcopen,rb-dc1}!gould!dcornutt
 or ...!{ucf-cs,allegra,codas,hcx1}!novavax!gould!dcornutt
ARPA: dcornutt@gswd-vms.arpa

"The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."