[comp.sources.wanted] Need UUCP tools for Sun III/3.2 unix...

jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) (06/29/87)

Our site talks across country via UUCP with our home office on the
West Coast.  Sometimes the line is left off hook when the converstaion
closes.  As a result we are racking up monumental long-distance phone
bills.  I know why this occurs (well I *think* I know why) however I
would like to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

What I'm looking for is a set of tools or program that will:

	1) Terminate any "useless" tip or uucp processes and...

	2) Hang up the call that was on the modem.

Any suggestions?  The software that I'm looking for cannot be patches
since we don't have sources, only objects.  It must run on a Sun III
running Sun's 3.2 Unix.

Thanks for your time.

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: seismo!{sundc,doqlci}!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@ads.arpa

"Therefore the younger a guitar is the less stable it is while the older
a guitar is the more stable it becomes.  This is essentially because it
takes quite a while for a guitar neck to realize that it is no longer
part of a tree."

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (07/07/87)

jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) wrote:
> Our site talks across country via UUCP with our home office on the
> West Coast.  Sometimes the line is left off hook when the converstaion
> closes.  As a result we are racking up monumental long-distance phone
> bills.
> What I'm looking for is a set of tools or program that will:
> 	1) Terminate any "useless" tip or uucp processes and...
> 	2) Hang up the call that was on the modem.

I have posted a shell script, zapcall, that does something like this,
to alt.sources.  It terminates any call in progress with a particular
site.  I use it at 7AM to avoid running up PC Pursuit bills.  Others
could use it at 8AM to avoid running up telco bills when the rates
change.
--
{dasys1,ncoast,well,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu	       gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
Alt.all: the alternative radio of the Usenet.