[comp.sources.wanted] Hercules and EGA graphics screen dumping.

jmg@mdbs.UUCP (07/08/87)

[If there were no line-eater, it would be necessary to invent one.]

     Well, the responses to my question numbered in the
high fours or low twos, depending on what you'd call a
response - two of them were from people who were going
to need this information also, and asked for it to be
passed on.  I don't quite have an answer yet, but...

     Lyle Levine gave me the address of Jewell Tech-
nologies, Inc.  They sell a memory-resident program that
will dump Hercules and EGA graphics (and maybe others)
for $50 (okay, $49.95, round-off error got to me).  This
doesn't quite solve my problem: i wanted my *program* to
screen dump, not to invoke someone else's program.  On
the other hand, it may be just what some people need, so
i am including their address.

     Eric Hughes sent me the phone number of a BBS that
has a file SCRNDUMP.ARC, which may allow Hercules and
EGA screen dumping (he has not tried it).  I don't know
if it contains sources or not.  I currently have only
GUEST priviledges there, and am waiting to be upgraded,
as soon as the sysop gets around to it.  (To be fair, i
did enroll just before the fourth of July weekend).

     I hope the two people who also need this infor-
mation can use what i've posted here.  I will post any
further information that i can find.  And of course, if
anyone else has any information, i would greatly
appreciate it...

	Jewell Technologies, Inc   (206) 937-1081
	4302 SW Alaska St.
	Suite 207
	Seattle Wash. 98116

	S.P.A.C.E. board (415) 964-8982.

John M. Gamble           |  Lo!  thy dread Empire COBOL is restored;
2550 Yeager Rd. #15-2    |  Light dies before thy uncreating word:
West Lafayette, IN 47906 |  Thy hand, great Anarch, lets the curtain fall,
-------------------------|  And Universal Darkness buries all.
(317) 497-9501           |
ihnp4!pur-ee!mdbs!jmg    |  from "The Dunciad", sort of, by Alexander Pope

broehl@watdcsu.UUCP (07/14/87)

In article <384@mdbs.UUCP> jmg@mdbs.UUCP (John Murray Gamble) writes:
>This doesn't quite solve my problem: i wanted my *program* to
>screen dump, not to invoke someone else's program.

Most screen dump programs that I know of stay resident and trap int 5's,
which get issued by the keyboard handler when shift-prtsc is pressed.
Therefore to invoke the screen-dump function from your code, you simply
do an int 5 (this should be feasible in any reasonable high-level language,
as well as assembler).

Of course, some printscreen programs will then interactively prompt you
for information, which may not be what you want them to do.