[comp.sources.wanted] newer spreadsheet than sc 3.1 ?

jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (07/29/87)

I currently run SC version 3.1 on my SCO Xenix box, and I wonder if there
isn't a newer version or better spreadsheet out there somewhere. The only
problems with the SC that I have are:
1) it is slow............
2) it has a small output bug such that doing 'goto' commands will write
   part of the screen in inverse, depending on what the data is where you
   jump to in the spreadsheet.
Any suggestions appreciated!

Jay Libove
Arpa:   jl42@andrew.cmu.edu	Bitnet: jl42@drycas.bitnet
UUCP:   ...!{seismo, ucbvax, harvard}!andrew.cmu.edu!jl42
UUCP:   ...!{pitt | bellcore} !darth!libove!libove

Disclaimer: I don't tell my employers what I think...

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (07/31/87)

In article <4V3JNty00WARzT006j@andrew.cmu.edu>, jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
> I currently run SC version 3.1 on my SCO Xenix box, and I wonder if there
> isn't a newer version or better spreadsheet out there somewhere. The only
> problems with the SC that I have are:
> 1) it is slow............
About two years ago we took a version of sc and made substantial modifications
to it (the person who did it estimates 40% of the code is new/changed)
and offered it as a $10 product for SCO XENIX in a booth at Uniforum.
We also offered (and still do) the new source code and a full manual for
$50.  Now for the bad news: it's still slow.  There was no attempt made
to make it fast and from what Mark said it would really be a rewrite.

> 2) it has a small output bug such that doing 'goto' commands will write
>    part of the screen in inverse, depending on what the data is where you
>    jump to in the spreadsheet.
This problem really has to do with the BIOS.  After much discussion SCO
told us, "Oh that problem.  It's a BIOS bug."  It works find on
other terminals, just not on the console.  Our version checks to see
if you are on the console, if if so, by default, doesn't use reverse video.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549,       +----------------+
Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX             | NO CONTRA AID! |