[comp.sources.wanted] Neural Networks

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (08/07/87)

I am looking for some information and/or demo programs on Neural Networks
and how to simulate them on a computer.  Any demo programs would be greatly
appreciated even if they don't do much.

I've heard that someone is selling a Neural Network simulator for the Mac
but I haven't heard much about it.  If anyone has details on what the
program can do I would be interested to hear about it.

Also, I could use a few good introductory references on Nerual networks,
how they can be simulated and how to use them for pattern matching type
operations.

Thanks for the help...

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306 (weekdays till 6 central)

u555694957ea@ucdavis.UUCP (u555694957ea) (08/08/87)

> I've heard that someone is selling a Neural Network simulator for the Mac
> but I haven't heard much about it.  If anyone has details on what the
> program can do I would be interested to hear about it.
   It's not for the Mac, but...
   I think you may be referring to a product I first saw advertised in
   the Computer Currents tabloid, 7/28 issue.  The ad reads (in full):
	NEURAL NET
	Netwurkz models a neural net in a tutorial level program with
	source you can change.  It demonstrates an associative memory
	finding nearest match to input word.  Limit of 1000 neurons max.
	  Netwurkz includes a comlete copy of PL/D, the compiler language
	it is written in.  PL/D is easy to learn, offers control not in C,
	and is faster.

	NETWURKZ   $79.95
	Neural Net emulator with source, PL/D compiler, and printed manuals.
	Add $75 for source of PL/D.  PC, XT, AT compatible with 256K.

	DAIR Computer systems  /3440 Kenneth Drive /Palo Alto, CA 94303
	415 494 7081    Visa/MC

  The grammar and wording are theirs.
  If you find out more about this or any others, I'm interested too (ever
notice that the highest salaries go to the lowest-level analysts?)

Ron Goldthwaite  /UC Davis, Psychology and Animal Behavior
Disclaimer:  I don't know these folk from Australopithicus.

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (08/08/87)

In <269@ndmath.UUCP>, milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) said:
>I've heard that someone is selling a Neural Network simulator for the Mac
>but I haven't heard much about it.  If anyone has details on what the
>program can do I would be interested to hear about it.

In a recent MacWeek (Aug. 3 issue), Beverley Kane wrote an article on the
subject.  She mentioned two products:  MacBrain by Nestor Inc. of Providence
R.I. (neural network simulation software), and MI-4, and RISC chip hardware
board neural network simulator (called a Transputer), bu Mechanical
Intelligence of San Diego CA.

I have no info beyond that, but would be interested in hearing what folks
who go to their booths at MacWorld have to say.

Peter
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

finegan@uccba.UUCP (Mike Finegan) (08/13/87)

In article <269@ndmath.UUCP>, milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
> I am looking for some information and/or demo programs on Neural Networks
> and how to simulate them on a computer.  Any demo programs would be greatly
> appreciated even if they don't do much.

  Dr. Dobbs Journal had an article (cover article) on neural networks a
  couple months back. There was source in there for a simulator, written
  in 'C'. I coded it in (ow - 800 some lines), and it works, except that
  some interpretation , and addition of code is necesarry to get what you
  succesfully trained it on to recognize anything. It merely required
  adapting a pre-existing sub-routine, and forced me to understand the
  program. It is public domain, so I guess I can send it to you, but note:
  I have added routines (albeit in the same style, etc.). The source can
  also be gotten on floppy from the magazine (~$20 ?).

> Also, I could use a few good introductory references on Nerual networks,
> how they can be simulated and how to use them for pattern matching type
> operations.

  ACASSP (sic), an IEEE Signal Processing magazine, had a fairly comprehensive
  introductio to the subject this year. I don't subscribe to it, so I don't
  remember if it was April, or later; I just copied the article.

						    Mike Finegan
						    Univ. of Cinti.
						...hal!uccba!ucece1!finegan

sullivan@alliant.UUCP (08/14/87)

Keywords:	Neural Net Technology PLATO/ARISTOTLE

In article <269@ndmath.UUCP>, milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
> I am looking for some information and/or demo programs on Neural Networks
> and how to simulate them on a computer.  Any demo programs would be greatly
> appreciated even if they don't do much.

Nerualtech Inc has a product out for beta test which runs on machines from
PC's to Cray's.  Dr John Voevodsky is the developer of this product which
is modeled from the biological processes of the human brain cell.  You may not
be in the market for such a product, but it might help you to know what other's
are doing.

	for info on PLATO/ARISTOTLE contact:

	Dr John Voevodsky
	Neuraltech Inc
	177 Goya Road
	Portola Valley, California 94025

#include <std/disclaimer>
				 ______
				/ \    \
Michael J Sullivan	       /   \____\ 	 	Alliant
sullivan@alliant.uucp	      /    /     \	ComputerSystemsCorporation

seibert@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Michael C. Seibert) (08/14/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.46.1 of Fri Jun 12 1987 on xn (berkeley-unix)

I tried to mail you, but to no avail.  Please mail me your C program, or post
it and let me know where.  Thanks...

--
seibert@xn.ll.mit.edu
  ...!{ames,mit-eddie,seismo,linus,lll-crg}!ll-xn!seibert