[comp.sources.wanted] tops 10/20 sed editor

rrr@leo.UUCP ( Robert R Ramos) (09/08/87)

I was wondering if anyone has ported the tops 10/20 editor sed to unix.
I am willing to borrow/buy a copy.  Thanks.

--
"I would rather suffer a cruel and horrible death" Young Sherlock Holmes
	Robert R. Ramos	(rrr)

yorick@kbsc.UUCP (Yorick Phoenix) (09/14/87)

In article <1283@leo.UUCP> rrr@leo.UUCP ( Robert R Ramos) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone has ported the tops 10/20 editor sed to unix.
>I am willing to borrow/buy a copy.  Thanks.

A man after my own heart.  Along time ago when we first got our Unix Vax and I
had to put up with Vi(le) I deceided to port an editor that I wrote using
UCI-Lisp on our DECsystem-10 to Franz Lisp under 4.1 BSD.  This editor emulated
sed from within the Lisp environment.

After porting it to Franz Lisp I found that it ran far too slowly for my liking
so deceided to re-write it completely in C.  This I did.  The finished program,
Yased - Yet Annother Screen EDitor - now runs on our Unix Vax, a Sun II/120, my
Sun-III/160, VMS, HP-9000, and IBM PC clones (under MS-DOS).

I have so far never released it outside of the Polytechnic that I work for, but
would be willing to do so if people wanted it.

The Pro's of my version are that it has an extended command structure, no
limits on the number of execute buffers etc, multiple startup files (dependant
on directory and type of terminal you are using), some bug fixes.

The Con's are mainly that the memory allocation is not too good in that the
whole file is represented by a doubly linked list where each character of the
file occupies one node.  This came from the implementation in Lisp and I never
got around to changing it.  Nevertheless if you are using a machine that
supports Virtual memory then you won't have any problems, but on a PC the
biggist file you can edit is about 45K.  The other is that although it
implements most of V2 of Tops-Sed it doesn't (yet) do Journaling and the fancy
formating (ie:- no <JUSTIFY> command).

If you want more details please mail me either electronically or otherwise at
the address below.

	Yorick Phoenix
--
+------------------------------------------+ The Knowledge-Based Systems Center