[comp.sources.wanted] Ethernet watcher

daveb@geac.UUCP (Brown) (09/20/87)

In article <1903@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
># 	3) eye -
># 		This is the gem of the bunch.  Written for a Sun
># 		computer, it watches TCP/IP connections on the
># 		ethernet.  This lets you see exactly what a user
># 		is doing... both input and output.
># ...
># current version of eye is nothing but a machine cracker.  I don't
># see a reason to pass this around.
># In a few weeks,  I plan on posting a new version of eye that is a
># ethernet debugger.  I never plan on posting my cracking version.
>
>Are you sure that your code will be written so that it takes a true guru to
>readily modify it to add the "cracking" functions?  If not you might want to
>think twice about sending it out, or post a uuencoded binary instead.

  This really raises a question which should be debated in the security
newsgroup... since there isn't one, lets restrict it to sources wanted
initially.
  The question is: if XXX is insecure, should I publish information on
breaking XXX.  My personal opinion is "Only after you publish
information on how to make XXX secure".  Eg, the clist-watcher can be
defeated by setting the perms on /dev/kmem to exclude all but user and
group "root", then writing required applications using /dev/kmem as
setgid root.
  Other opinions, please? (light, not heat, requested).

 --dave
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor|yetti|utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its